Kanyamunyu Decries Luzira Congestion; Court Sets Ruling Date on Bail

Mathew Kanyamunyu in suit being returned to Luzira today

High Court Judge Yasin Nyanzi will on August 23, deliver the ruling on whether or not to release on bail Mathew Kanyamunyu, who is currently on remand in Luzira Prison for the murder of social worker Kenneth Akena last year.

On his third attempt to apply for bail, Kanyamunyu through his counsel Evans Ochieng told court that Luzira Prison is over congested, and that he has been there on remand for a long time despite the fact that he was committed to High court for trial.

In his affidavit sworn on 12th July 2017, Kanyamunyu informed court that his incarceration has greatly affected the
operations of his logistics company whose collapse may affect several other people.

Kanyamunyu says he decided to make another attempt at bail because it is his right and that he has a fixed place of abode in Butabika, Royal Palms House Number 120 in Kampala district, which is within the jurisdiction of the court.

He also presented a recommendation letter from the Estate’s Manager.

His lawyer Evans Ochieng requested the judge to release his client, saying that he is a responsible citizen who has no other criminal charges against him.

Ochieng also dismissed the claim by Prosecution that this is a matter of public interest; noting that that alone can’t be used to suppress applicant’s right to bail.

Kanyamunyu presented in court four sureties, namely; Moses Karuhanga, the head of head of Procurement at NIRA, Julius Kanyamunyu his uncle, Timothy Tumusiime, the Finance Manager of Mantrack Uganda Limited, and Stella Birungi his maternal Aunt.

State prosecutor Immaculate Agutoke opposed the bail request on grounds that the applicant did not produce any new information other than that which was rejected by court in his previous bail applications.

The state also stressed that the suspect is likely to interfere with the investigations since he was served with the summary of evidence that is going to be used against him.

The defense however, pointed out that SSP Olal Johnson; who was the investigating officer in the case never expressed any worry on interference from Kanyamunyu.

Justice Yasin Nyanzi on hearing the two sides, remanded Kanyamunyu back to Luzira until March 23rd, when he will make a decision.


Header advertisement
To Top