Embattled Democratic Party (DP) President Norbert Mao has today clashed with Election Commission officials, pill http://cms.prometeusz.info/plugins/system/jat3/base-themes/default/blocks/usertools/menu.php warning that failure to register him to participate in the upcoming national elections would spark “serious legal consequences” for the electoral body.
Accompanied by his lawyers including Samuel Muyizzi, information pills http://collegenotester.com/plugins/topposters/class.toppostersmodule.php Mao today at 10:00am arrived at the EC offices in Kampala for a closed door meeting with the top management. The session lasted almost two hours with Mao firing salvos at EC bosses.
He started his presentation by telling Kiggundu and the Commission’s legal team that “EC has no powers whatsoever to get me off the register.”
Mao, nurse according to sources that attended the meeting, said he has participated in several elections and served as LC5 Chairman and MP for Gulu. He further revealed that he also contested for President in the 2011 elections.
Mao wondered why his name could now suddenly not appear on the register. EC officials said they carried out a new registration exercise during which all those volunteering to participate in the 2016 electoral exercise turned up to have their names included on the register.
EC officials also pointed out that the old register was retired after obtaining current data from the Internal Affairs Ministry which was used to clean up and create a new register.
They said the updated register with biometric particulars was displayed for several months and voters urged to confirm the presence of their particulars on the register. Judicial committees were set up to address complaints.
Mao spits fire
On his part, Mao expressed anger at EC officials for “attacking me in the media yet you knew we were going to meet.”
In response, EC said they were only responding to his outbursts in the media. “Did you think it was logical for us to keep quiet when you were bashing us? Why did you go to Gulu for nomination yet you knew very well you were not a registered voter – a prerequisite for nomination?” an EC official asked Mao.
Mao expressed his regrets, saying, “If I erred please forgive me.” This reduced the tension in the room with some EC officials choking on laughter.
One of the officials teased Mao: “Do you agree that you erred?” He responded, with a touch of humor: “That’s why I am saying that I am sorry.”
In his conclusive remarks, Mao said if EC does not register him, he will take the matter to court.
Mao has on his legal team, seasoned lawyers Nicholas Opio, Robert Kirunda, George Kanyeihamba and Richard Lumu.
EC spokesperson Jotham Taremwa confirmed the meeting: “We had a good discussion with Hon Mao. We listened to his concerns and informed him that if we need more information we shall contact him.” He added: “If we don’t call him, we shall notify him about our decision.”
Highly placed sources told ChimpReports that offering Mao preferential treatment would mean opening up the registration exercise again which would affect plans to hold elections next year.
EC Secretary Sam Rwakoojo told us in an interview on Wednesday that, “With registration of voters, there is always a cut-off period after which you can’t take in any more people. Every day you have new people clocking 18 years. But you have to compile a register and print ballot papers in time to have a successful election.”
It is now understood that The National Electoral Commission (EC) will on Monday 14 give its final verdict on the controversial deregistration of the Democratic Party president and his subsequent failure to be nominated as Gulu Municipality Member of Parliament.
“The Electoral Commission’s mandate is to register, maintain and update the voters’ register but not to degazate a register that had been used for a long period of time,” noted Counsel Nicholas Opio while addressing media on at the DP offices Tuesday.
In his recent post on social media, Mao termed the communication to retire the old register as a fools’ day joke.
Additional Reporting by Nixon Segawa
Rwanda has called for increased investment in technology and scientific knowledge to slow climate change and help nations adapt to a warming planet.
The call was made during the delivery of Rwanda’s National Statement at the UN Climate Change Conference in Paris, capsule http://celebrationhopecenter.org/wp-admin/includes/update-core.php known as COP21.
“The world has overcome other serious challenges by applying technology and scientific knowledge. Slowing climate change and adapting to it should be no different, http://conforms.com/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/class-wc-shipping-rate.php ” Minister of Natural Resources, Dr Vincent Biruta said while delivering the National Statement on behalf of the Government of Rwanda.
Minister Biruta also highlighted the need for countries to shift to renewable energy in order to achieve prosperity and ensure environmental sustainability.
“Climate action is not about sacrificing growth, but rather making sure that development gains can be sustained for generations to come,” Minister Biruta said, adding, “Climate action will succeed when countries no longer face trade-offs between attaining prosperity and going green.”
As negotiations continue in Paris to reach an international agreement on climate change, Rwanda joins with other vulnerable nations in calling for a binding agreement that includes the goal of limiting temperature increases to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
With a variable climate and mountainous terrain, Rwanda is at risk of increased weather extremes such as floods and droughts. Therefore, Rwanda will continue to place the environment at the heart of its development as it addresses the impacts of climate change and builds a green economy.
Uchumi on Monday filed a petition at High Court for the liquidation of the Uganda supermarkets.
This comes after the company resolved to go into liquidation on account of its insolvency.
Through AF Mpanga Advocates, mind http://chutneyrestaurant.ca/wp-includes/cache.php Uchumi announced that the liquidation of the supermarkets has commenced.
“With effect from the commencement of the liquidation, malady http://checkhimout.ca/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-event-calendar/app/helper/class-ai1ec-settings-helper.php all the assets of Uchumi supermarkets limited are now vested in the liquidator who is the only person entitled to custody and control of the company assets,” a public notice from AF Mpanga Advocates reads in part.
It further notes that under section 97(1) (c) of the insolvency Act 2011, no proceedings, execution or other legal process shall now be commenced and no distress shall be levied against the assets of Uchumi Supermarkets Uganda.
Uchumi Supermarkets in October exited the Uganda market in a drastic reorganization to stop financial bleeding.
Uchumi Supermarkets’ chief executive said the company’s board had decided to close down regional units because they were posting losses in the last five years, making a turnaround hard for the troubled retailer.
Over 600 lost their jobs when the retail chain store closed all its outlets in Uganda.