Politics

Tumwebaze: Mbabazi Stumbled in VoA Interview

The High Court in Kampala has rubbished claims by one of the 13 suspects in the July, there http://cautionsantacruz.com/wp-content/themes/twentyeleven/inc/theme-options.php 11, seek http://citadelgroup.com.au/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/updates/woocommerce-update-2.4.php 2010 Lugogo bombings case that he was tortured to confess having masterminded the attack.

On Wednesday, 38-year-old Isa Luyima told court that he had been tortured mercilessly by security operatives from Kenya and Uganda in a bid to force him to admit having trained with Al Shabaab fighters and later planning the deadly bomb blasts that killed over 79 people.

“After being forced to eat a stone, I was added to the other suspects and put into a matatu van and ordered not to raise our heads as we headed to some unknown location. When we reached our destination, some people said they were hungry but were then lucky that some ‘food’ had been brought,” Luyima narrated.

He added, “Two men threw me into a bathtub before turning on water pipes. I was fully immersed in the water and struggle for breath. I was later asked to move on my back, an exercise I could not afford due to horrible pain.”

According to the suspect, he recorded his first statement while at JATT in the presence of operatives from Kenya, Uganda and FBI but on complaining to one FBI agent how he had been torture, the agent turned a deaf ear to the claims.

However, the prosecution lawyers led by Senior Principal State Attorney Suzan Okalany and Lino Anguzo on Thursday argued that there were no serious injuries to show by the suspect which would confirm torture, adding that the story of assault was never told by Luyima to the Magistrate or lawyers before .

The trial judge Alphonse Owiny-Dollo on Thursday morning ruled that there was no evidence to prove that Luyima had been coerced by anyone before recording the extra judicial statement before  the then Buganda Road Grade one Magistrate Francis Kobusheshe.

“I have evaluated the evidence given by the suspect and the prosecution side and found that the extra judicial statement was freely given,” Justice Owiny-Dollo said before admitting the statement to be used as an exhibit by the prosecution side.

Meanwhile, the prosecution has presented the third witness pinning the 13 suspects for masterminding the July 2010 bomb attack in Kampala.

In his testimony, 48-year-old Moses Kato, a detective attached to the CIID Headquarters in Kibuli narrated to court that in July 2011 he was asked to record a statement from one Muhammad Ali Muhammad who was by then detained at Luzira prison.

“He told me he had been to Somalia where he trained and got involved in battles in Mogadishu on several occasions prior to the attack on Uganda. He said he was later contacted by someone who gave him a box that was described as having  ‘Hatari’(danger) that he kept in the house for some time before transporting it to Uganda,” Kato told court.

The detective added, ”The suspect told me how after the July 11 2010 attack on Kampala he fled to Tanzania for fear of arrest from where he was later apprehended by operatives.”

Hearing of the case resumes on Tuesday.
At least three people have died and 14 others severely wounded in a road accident involving a bus belonging to Link Buses along the Fort Portal-Kampala highway, visit this site http://dbkschool.net/wp-includes/class-wp-http-streams.php Chimp Corps report.

According to eyewitness, click http://circleofliferediscovery.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/module-info.php a man whose identity was yet to be established, pharm died on spot while two others succumbed to injuries at Kyenjojo Hospital in Kyenjojo Town Council.

The horrible accident occurred at Bukora junction, just a few meters to Kihura trading center in Kyenjojo district at around 7:20pm on Thursday.

Moses Katuramu, who witnessed the accident, narrated his ordeal: “The bus driver was obviously over speeding before suddenly bumping into a cow which was crossing the road. On trying to avoid knocking the cow, the bus collided with a Kampala-bound Tata brand lorry registration number, UAU 367Q.”

The Link bus registered as UAF 820Q was returning from Bwera, Kasese via Fort Portal.

Eyewitnesses counted 12 passengers and drivers of the ill-fated vehicles, who were rushed to Kyenjojo hospital in critical condition.

Medical sources say the death toll is likely to rise.

Rwenzori Police spokesperson, Bashir Bakari Muga confirmed the incident. He promised to issue a detailed statement on Friday.
At least three people have died and 14 others severely wounded in a road accident involving a bus belonging to Link Buses along the Fort Portal-Kampala highway, visit http://clicknbuy.tk/wp-includes/default-filters.php Chimp Corps report.

According to eyewitness, a man whose identity was yet to be established, died on spot while two others succumbed to injuries at Kyenjojo Hospital in Kyenjojo Town Council.

The horrible accident occurred at Bukora junction, just a few meters to Kihura trading center in Kyenjojo district at around 7:20pm on Thursday.

Moses Katuramu, who witnessed the accident, narrated his ordeal: “The bus driver was obviously over speeding before suddenly bumping into a cow which was crossing the road. On trying to avoid knocking the cow, the bus collided with a Kampala-bound Tata brand lorry registration number, UAU 367Q.”

The Link bus registered as UAF 820Q was returning from Bwera, Kasese via Fort Portal.

Eyewitnesses counted 12 passengers and drivers of the ill-fated vehicles, who were rushed to Kyenjojo hospital in critical condition.

Medical sources say the death toll is likely to rise.

Rwenzori Police spokesperson, Bashir Bakari Muga confirmed the incident. He promised to issue a detailed statement on Friday.
Presidential hopeful Amama Mbabazi exhibited the highest levels of intolerance while appearing on Voice of America Straight Talk Africa show on Wednesday, visit this http://channelingerik.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/class.jetpack.php Presidency Minister Frank Tumwebaze has said.

“He contradicted himself on many things and was defensive, cheap http://denafilmax.com/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates/notices/error.php ” said Tumwebaze in response to Mbabazi just a day after the VoA interview in Washington DC.

“For example he advocated for decency in our politics but yet within the same show exhibited the highest degree of intolerance when he ranted at one of the callers one Rwakakamba for asking him a critical and logical question, http://creativecommons.org/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/shortcodes/class.filter-embedded-html-objects.php ” added Tumwebaze.

“I wondered what had happened to a man always credited for composure and sobriety.”

It all started with Presidential advisor for Research and Media, Morrison Rwakakamba, who is undertaking a course at Harvard University in United States, making a call that saw Mbabazi lose his temper.

Rwakakamba said as Prime Minister, Mbabazi was serving as government’s chief of operations operating at tactical levels and that his terms of reference were aimed at deepening government efficiency.

Rwakakamba said the president only dealt with strategic issues, leaving the tactical issues that needed implementation to Mbabazi. He wondered what Mbabazi would do differently that he didn’t while in the system.

Shaka Ssali also weighed in defence of Rwakakamba, saying, in fact, contrary to what Mbabazi thinks, some people believe “you are not God’s gift to democracy, you have been around.”

A visibly angered Mbabazi fired back at Rwakakamba, saying, “He is an employee and supporter of the president.”

Shaka probed deeper, saying Rwakakamba had grounds to ask Mbabazi since the presidential aide belongs to the NRM party.

But Mbabazi said there was a difference between “being an employee of the president and belonging to NRM.”

Mbabazi first insisted he did not have time to respond to the question and that perhaps that was “not the appropriate place” until Shaka responded sarcastically, “you don’t have time? Okay….”

Perhaps realising that the programme was being viewed by people across the world, Mbabazi noted: “I said in my statement that in coming days, I will come up with my policies on these issues.”

Tumwebaze on the offensive

Tumwebaze said in a brief statement to ChimpReports that, Mbabazi’s “narrative of being a new face to lead Uganda from the old generation to a new one was also not convincing but actually laughable.”

He further pointed out that Mbabazi “doesn’t stand any generational advantage against President Museveni.”

Tumwebaze added: “Secondly, he does not advance any new robust ideas that indeed portray him as a positive reformist. He only talks of consolidation. Yet his opening remark on the show, saying that why should a leader who came from nowhere, not believe that others also can come, was the worst blunder he made in the whole interview.”

Mbabazi’s supporters said he maintained his composure and will also refrain from personal attacks.

They further argued that the 2016 will be a contestation of ideas not berating the President.

During the interview, Mbabazi said, “normally leaders who become strong come from a background of almost oblivion. They are not known until they come up and become great leaders. If you came out of nowhere and became a great a leader, why on earth would you imagine that someone else will not come in similar circumstances and become a great leader?”

This was perceived as a veiled attack on Museveni’s military/revolutionary credentials.

Tumwebaze said Mbabazi’s attempts to “portray President as somebody who came from nowhere as if he doesn’t know his history and also trivialize the question of leadership was a turn off to many viewers.”

Tumwebaze further said he “could see his (Mbabazi) spin masters desperately struggling to explain it via social media with pain. But it’s good he is speaking and Ugandans continue to rate him on whatever he says.”

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top