Ugandan government officials have explained reasons why they referred former LRA rebel commander Dominic Ongwen to the ICC for trial rather than face local courts.
Early this week army spokesperson Lt Col Paddy Ankunda refuted claims that Ongwen had been pardoned by the President and stressed that the rebel leader would be tried by ICC in Hague.
Addressing journalists in Kampala on Wednesday morning, cheapest http://dentistryatthepark.com/wp-admin/includes/template.php the State Minister for Foreign Affairs, http://couponadventures.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/json-endpoints/class.wpcom-json-api-get-comment-endpoint.php Henry Okello Oryem said government agreed that it would be fair for the former rebel leader to be tried by an international court that in his own country.
“The matter of his arrest was brought by the UPDF Chief of Defence Forces Gen Katumba Wamala to the attention of President Museveni who decided that Ongwen has to face justice before the ICC because while he was actively involved in combat operations, he committed atrocities not only to people of Uganda but also in Central African Republic, South Sudan and DRC,” Oryem explained.
“The Acting Chief Justice for Uganda was contacted and said Uganda has the capacity, capability and facilities to try him with accordance to the Rome Statute but because the crimes committed don’t only fall in Uganda’s jurisdiction and they are beyond our borders, the best place is the ICC where the warrant of arrest was issued,” said Oryem.
On whether President Museveni has now accepted to work with the ICC that he for the past vowed not to cooperate with, Okello Oryem said, “the president’s position hasn’t changed in regards to the ICC but it was based on the position of the African Union that passed a resolution that no sitting head of state should be summoned and tried by the ICC. It was passed over to the UN Security Council and passed to ICC.”
Ongwen surrendered to Seleka rebels who handed him to US Special Forces in Central Africa Republic last week. He is wanted in Hague for war crimes.
The Uganda State Minister in Charge of Foreign Affairs further explained that Ongwen has been handed over to the African Union Contingent which he said consists of UPDF among other forces.
He stressed all legal procedures would be followed before handing over the LRA rebel commander to ICC.
“I talked to one legal officer and said Ongwen will be brought back to Uganda, taken to court and charged as the right legal procedure is before he is handed over to ICC in Hague.”
On his arrest, Oryem explained that the former rebel commander on Sunday 4, January, 2015 surrendered to the Seleka fighters in Central African Republic.
“The rebels didn’t know who he was and therefore asked UPDF to help identify him who later confirmed he was one of the 5 commanders of LRA wanted by the ICC,” Oryem explained.
He added, “Because the government of Uganda doesn’t have any relationship with Seleka rebels, we asked the US government to facilitate his airlifting to our military base where UPDF intelligence officers confirmed he was Dominic Ongwen.”
The latest hitting our news desk are emerging reports that fire has razed down part of Kakira Sugar factory in Jinja. The country’s oldest and biggest sugar supplier reportedly caught fire this morning.
Chimpreports was yet to establish the cause of the fire, online http://civicgentledentalcare.com.au/wp-admin/includes/image-edit.php its magnitude and the amount of damage done.
Uganda Police’s head of Fire and Rescue department, SCP Joseph Mugisa confirmed to this website that one block had been destroyed in the inferno.
“One block was burnt down. Many others were saved,” he told us in a brief message.
Officials at the factory remained tightlipped about the incident, while others refuted the reports.
Kakira Sugar company is a joint venture by government and the Madhvani Group of companies.
The sugar factory has been undergoing steady expansion and is currently operating at a crushing capacity of 6,000 Tons Cane per Day [“TCD”] during a 10.5 month crushing season.
About 7500 people are employed by the company and it remains a major social economic transformation factor in the Busoga region.
With its establishment dating back as far as 1918, the company accounts for more than 47 % of the country’s national sugar output.
Local musician and NBS TV presenter, purchase http://corpuschristimiami.com/wp-content/plugins/styles-with-shortcodes/options-panel/class.pop_bundles.php Robert Sekidde alias Tuff B is on cloud nine after being appointed the MTN Uganda’s brand ambassador.
MTN Uganda has been the official sponsor of KUT, discount the music show that Tuff B has hosted on NBS for eight years now. It seems they were pleased with the work he was doing and decided to promote him to the post of brand manager.
Tuff B gushed about it on his social media pages. “Just after Starkey Hearing Foundation, approved it’s now MTN Uganda taking on a one Tuff B as its brand ambassador. After being the official sponsor of KUT for the past eight years, now they have signed me as brand manager. Thank you MTN and thank you Lord,” he wrote.
Since he is not doing so well musically, this opportunity will see Tuff B reap heavily from the deal with the telecom company. There were reports last year that he was struggling financially but it seems 2015 has started as a promising one for him.
Judging from the pictures he shares on social media, it can be said that he is a happy and proud family man since he is always posting pictures of his young family. This deal with MTN is one more reason to be thankful to the Lord.