Religion

Thugs Steal Shs 2.7 Million Church Offertory

Opposition Democratic Party (DP) president and Go Forward presidential candidate campaign manager, generic pharm http://cosmeticscop.com/wp-admin/includes/class-walker-nav-menu-edit.php Norbert Mao has alleged that president Museveni is employing all tactics in his arsenal to stop him from acquiring a National Identity Card and registering to participate in the 2016 general elections.

Mao shouldered himself from public criticism for not registering during the massive Electoral Commission voter registration exercise, viagra website http://chuckatuckhistory.com/wp-admin/includes/theme-install.php saying he made several attempts in vain.

“It’s public knowledge that during the registration exercise I was very sick. It was my health first then any other business, cheapest ” said Mao in Kampala on Tuesday.

“How would I have registered then when I was fighting for my life,” he wondered.

This was the first time Mao was speaking out at a press conference on his failure to contest for Gulu Municipality MP seat due to lack of required particulars.

The EC last week said its Returning Officer could not nominate Mao because his name was not found on the National Voters Register, which is a requirement for nomination under Section 4 (1) (b) of the Parliamentary Elections Act of 2005 (as amended).

The EC further said it compiled the National Voters’ Register for purposes of the 2015-2016 General Elections and extracted data containing particulars of registered and verified Ugandan citizens from the National Identification Register.

Mao angry

Mao explained that on his return from hospital in May, he went for the update of voter’s register exercise at Polly Rosary polling station in Gulu but never found any official to have him registered.

“I thereafter called the Deputy Electoral Commissioner, Joseph Biribonwa who advised me to come to Kampala to have me registered. When I came back to Kampala, in those days, my health worsened,” he added.

“Around July, I resumed the effort to have myself registered since it’s a mandate to have all Ugandans registered. I talked to several people and at last met the former Internal Affairs Minister, the late Gen. Aronda Nyakaiirima who promised to handle my case after his return from South Korea but unfortunately he never returned alive,” recounted the controversial politician.

“I never gave up on doing my best as a concerned citizen, I went to his successor in office who sympathized with me and assured me that I would be registered. He sent me to Kololo at the National ID project offices to have my case settled. They too sympathized with me and even revealed to me that there are several other Ugandans that have continually approached them for registration and have been registered but instead they asked me for a written directive from the Minister first.”

Mao said this wasn’t a big task at all: “I went and secured a letter from the Minister and before heading to Kololo, I made a call to their offices requesting for when I should go for registration. I was then told that I need a no objection letter from Electoral Commission Chairperson, Eng. Dr. Badru Kiggundu. On meeting with Kiggundu, he said to me that the register was already sealed but requested to write a letter addressing it to the entire commission. I then received a communication that the commission’s hands were tied which meant that nothing much would be done.”

The outspoken opposition figure said he thereafter got several pieces of advice from different people to take the matter to the attention of powerful government officials including police boss Gen Kale Kayihura who promised to assist.

“This didn’t work until I decided to write a letter to the Head of State through a third party. The response I received was that the president was so angry with me that I was splitting his support in Northern region for his political opponent, Amama Mbabazi,” alleged Mao.

DP is one of the parties backing the presidential candidature Amama Mbabazi.

“They thought having me registered would be doing me a favour and wanted to trade my support for Mbabazi for the sake of having me on the register. I am now paying a price or my political choice,” he added at today’s press conference at the party headquarters in Kampala.

Mao has since filed a complaint with the Electoral Commission which he says must be heard as provided by law.

Mao accuses EC for dropping him out of the voters’ registered, saying he has participated in many elections in the country and has a voters’ register with no expiry date.

“I am accusing EC of discriminating against me despite registering soldiers from South Sudan currently, bias, prejudice and incompetence. EC signed an MOU with the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) where I was counted during the national Census exercise, Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) of which I am a registered tax payer with a tin number; why wouldn’t they compile my data from such organisations to have me registered?” he wondered.

Mao has therefore instructed his lawyers led by Nicolas Opio, Robert Kirunda and Prof. George Kanyeihamba to file a case before courts of law if no response is received with 48 hours from the commission.

EC speaks out

The EC says the extracted data of the successfully verified Ugandan citizens was displayed for public scrutiny at the respective update centers in each Parish/Ward during the update period from April 7 to May 11, 2015.

The exercise had been scheduled to end on April 30 2015 but was extended twice, from to May 4 and May 11.

During the above period, according to the EC boss Badru Kiggundu, the Commission conducted an update of the National Voters’ Register, which involved fresh registration of Ugandan citizens of 18 years and above, who had missed out on the registration conducted for purpose of issuance of a National Identity Card.

During the update exercise, Kiggundu revealed, the Commission clarified that all persons who registered for purposes of elections prior to the 2010/2011 General Elections and consequent update exercises conducted for purposes of by-elections, but had not registered during the Enrolment exercise for purposes of issuance with a National Identification Card, were required to register (afresh) for purposes of voting during the 2016 General Elections.

In a press statement dated 1st April 2015, the Commission announced that effective March 31, 2015, the 2011 National Voters’ Register (as updated) had been retired and degazetted, and accordingly, it would not be used for purposes of elections and/or referenda in 2016 and beyond.

“The information available to the Electoral Commission is that Hon. Mao Norbert did not register during the above exercises, which he, too acknowledges in his letter to the Chairperson, Electoral Commission, dated 16th October 2015, requesting for consideration and inclusion on the National Voters’ Register,” said Kiggundu.

“The Commission, in response, advised that his request was time barred, since it was raised after conclusion of the General Update whose cut-off date was 11th May 2015.”
Police in Kisoro are investigation a case in which unidentified thugs on Sunday night broke into St. Andrews Sseseme Church of Uganda Cathedral in Kisoro Municipality and stole Shs 2.7million offertory money and other property worth millions of shillings.

The incident was confirmed by the cathedral sub dean Rev. Herbert Mujabwami who however declined to comment further on the matter.

The Kisoro district OC CIID Emmanuel Gumisiriza revealed that other items stolen included rolls of clothes that were meant to be donated to the needy, and http://compspoultry.com.au/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/form-tag.php 12 pairs of uniform belonging to the church choir.

Gumisiriza says that up to 2.7 million Uganda shillings was stolen from the church coffers. This is believed to have been the total offertory collection for one Sunday.

Gumisiriza also told our reporter that the security guard responsible for securing church premises had been arrested by police and will face a number of charges after the investigations are complete.

He says that Police in Kisoro is still hunting for more suspects as investigations into the matter continues. The case is registered under CRB/1537/2015 at Kisoro central police station.

 

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top