South Sudan

South Sudan Presidency: Inside $500m Corruption Scandal

South Sudan President Salvar Kiir Mayardit

In mid 2015, sick South Sudan President Salva Kiir received a shocking intelligence report about an alleged theft of $500m from his office.

It was alleged that presidential staff John Agou had connived with his colleagues at work, Mayen Wol Jong and Yel Luol Koor to transfer $500M from the Office of the President to his (Agou) bank accounts in Nairobi- Kenya.

The report was prepared by Kenya’s Security Services.

It is alleged Kiir’s cousin Athorbei Gaddhaffy and certain individuals in the National Security Service in South Sudan and the Office of the President participated in drafting of the intelligence report.

Some of these individuals involved included Napoleon Adok, George Gum Thuc and Nyuol Justin Yaac, Bol Wek Agoth (presidency) and former Aide-De-Camp to the President, Gen. Akok Noon.

This intelligence report was submitted to the President with a bank statement indicating the alleged USD 500 Million transfer.

Kiir consulted his Legal Advisor and the Minister of Justice Paulino Wanawilla before approving and directing the General Intelligence Bureau (GIB) to arrest John Agou.

The President also directed the Minister of Justice Paulino Wanawilla to form a seven-member committee to investigate the alleged corruption case in the Office of the President.

The committee comprised three members from the Ministry of Justice, two from the Ministry of Interior (National Police Service) and two officials from the National Security Services (NSS).

The terms of reference for the investigation committee were to investigate and repatriate the sum of USD 500 Million alleged to have been transferred from the Office of the President, co-opt any other person as deemed fit by the committee and to conclude and render their report within 45 days.

On May 29, 2015, Maj. Gen. Paul Nang Majok, the Director of the External Intelligence Division (EID) ordered a company of security personnel from the General Intelligence Bureau (GIB) under the command of Capt. Gum Bol Noah, Capt. Charles Andrew Churukali and 2nd Lt. Ading Deng to arrest John Agou and take him to GIB Headquarters.

During the operation at the premises of Click Technologies Ltd, GIB security personnel also arrested eight employees of the company and three customers who were at the shop during the operation.

Three hours later, security personnel took electronic equipment from premises of Click Technologies Ltd and Transcorps Printing and Signage Ltd.

On Thursday, June 16, 2015 at around 8:30 pm, Gen. Thomas Duoth Guet and Director General of Internal Security Bureau (ISB) Gen. Akol Koor Kuc summoned John Agou for investigation and questioned him about the USD 500m transaction.

Agou expressed shocked about the huge sum of money alleged to have been transferred to his bank account.

“He (John Agou) asked the two Director Generals of National Security Service if they know the banks and the accounts where the alleged money was being kept in order for him to go and sign it off for the two Director Generals of the National Security Services to take the alleged money,” said a source.

After the conclusion of the first interrogation, the two Director Generals of the National Security Services told John Agou that the investigation committee has already been formed by the Ministry of Justice and they will start work as soon as possible.

They also told him to cooperate with the investigation committee in their work.

The interrogation committee later reported to the President that John Agou had implicated both Mayen Wol and Yel Luol.

According to a high ranking official who spoke to ChimpReports on condition of anonymity, the case has since caused mistrust and suspicion in the president’s office.

“The president relied on a misleading intelligence report and forged bank documents to get rid of some officials in the presidency,” said an insider.


On Wednesday, June 26, 2015, Kiir called Yel Luol and informed him that “John Agou who was arrested and interrogated by the General Intelligence Bureau has now confessed and implicated you and Mayen Wol in the corruption case in the office and now I am going to suspend you and Mayen Wol and send you to Gen. Thomas Duoth (Director General of the General Intelligence Bureau) to give your statement (defend yourself) in response to confession from John Agou”.

True to his words, the President suspended Mayen Wol, Chief Administrator in the Office of the President and Yel Luol Koor, Executive Director in the Office of the President and hand them over to GIB who formally put them under house arrest for about one month.


On July 23, 2015, the two former senior staff were taken from their houses to GIB premises where they were detained together with John Agou and seven of his company’s staff.

Mayen Wol and Yel Luol Koor were transferred from House arrest to the detention facility at the general intelligence Bureau (GIB) on the recommendation of the investigation committee.

The committee claimed that the two officials were not respecting the terms of their house arrest but did not specify what those conditions were.

On June 26, 2015, the investigation committee called John Agou and formally informed him of the reason of his arrest and charges.

Agou denied the charges before the investigation committee, saying a plot was crafted to frame him.


Header advertisement
To Top