Sheikh Mwanje, 3 Others Charged With Murder of Maj. Kiggundu

Sheikh Yahya Mwanje (2nd Right) and his Co-accused in Court on Friday (Photo by Kenneth Kazibwe)

The acting Tabliq Muslim Amir (leader) for Nakasero Mosque Sheikh Yahya Mwanje and 3 other people were on Friday afternoon charged with the murder of  former Allied Democratic Forces(ADF) commander, hospital Sheikh Maj. Muhammad Kiggundu at Buganda Road Court in Kampala.

The others who were charged with Sheikh Mwanje included 2 bodaboda riders from Kyengera Muhammad Buyondo and Abdul -Wahab Ssendegeya and Muhammad Ssekandi, visit this site a businesman from Masanafu.

“The 4 of you and others who are not yet arrested on 26 November at Masanafu trading center shot dead Maj. Kiggundu, ” the Buganda road Chief Magistrate Jamson Karemani read the charges.

Header advertisement

The 4 were also charged with the murder of Sgt. Steven Mukasa, a UPDF soldier who was acting as the bodyguard to Maj.Kiggundu on the same morning of November 26.

The Chief Magistrate however, asked them not to say anything stressing that the court had no jurisdiction to hear their offence which is capital in nature and can only be tried by the High Court.

Torture Claims

The group through their lawyers led by Fred Muwema and Friday Kagoro asked court to issue criminal summons against Wilson Omoding, the commandant for Nalufenya police station.

The lawyers told court that their clients who had spent more than the stipulated time in detention had been subjected to torture under the command of  Omoding.

“They have spent more than 2 months in detention, subject to mental and physical torture by their captors. Mr.Omoding has been an accessory to the torture,” Muwema complained.

Citing the Magistrates Court the Prevention and Prohibition of Torture Act and the Constitution, the lawyers asked the Chief Magistrate to issue criminal summons against the Nalufenya police station commandant so he could answer charges in relation to violation of the suspects’ rights.

Maj.Muhammad Kiggundu was on the morning of   November 26 shot dead together with his bodyguard by unknown assailants at Masanafu trading center, Lubaga division.

Police on December 27 together with a team off operatives from the Joint Anti Terrorism Task Force raided Nakasero market before arresting some members whereas computers and other documents were also ransacked.

These were however released yesterday by the Flying Squad on police bond.


Header advertisement
To Top