Crime & Investigation

Sgt Tumwesigye Develops Strange Disease After 3 Months in Police Cells

Sgt Enock Tumwesigye has been languishing at Kiira Road and Naggalama Police Stations for three months without trial (Photo: Chimp Investigation Team)

A cop who has spent three months in a police detention facility without trial has complained of a strange illness, medications Chimp Corps exclusively report.

Since his arrest on March 18, story Sgt Enoch Tumwesigye spends 24 hours a day in the cells with little or no natural light or fresh air.

Tumwesigye, page 36, is not allowed out even for a second to exercise at Naggalama police station where he was transferred after his website reported that he had spent almost three months incarcerated at Kiira Road Police Station.

Except for the occasional visit by relatives, Tumwesigye has little human interaction with anyone other than interrogators and cops.

A doctor who posed as a friend to visit Tumwesigye told ChimpReports that the detainee suffers from a “worsening skin disease and appears to be slipping further into a state of depression.”

The doctor, who preferred anonymity so as to speak freely, further revealed that Tumwesigye is so “distraught over his living conditions that he often wants to discuss nothing else.”

This website was unable to corroborate the doctor’s assessment as access to Tumwesigye remains restricted.

The jail in which he lives today stinks. The food supplies are of poor quality.


Tumwesigye’s woes started in 2013 when Police Flying Squad elements were hunting down Hassim Ssali, a key suspect in the murder of Kampala businessman, Wilberforce Wamala.

Flying Squad operatives found Tumwesigye at his station in Mpigi where he provided assistance in tracking and arresting Hassim Ssali who was residing in the area.

Upon arrest, Police Flying Squad operatives took Ssali to Bukasa Police Station in Kampala where he was found murdered.

But Wamala’s relatives had at the time accused the late AIGP Andrew Kaweesi of having a hand in the tycoon’s murder.

When Kaweesi was gunned down in Kulambiro early this year, police quickly arrested Tumwesigye.

He was quizzed on Ssali’s death which occurred three years ago before being detained at Kiira Road Police Station.

Detention without trial

Since March this year, Tumwesigye has not seen a doctor for medical attention or lawyer for representation.

Police Spokesperson AIGP Asan Kasingye last week said Tumwesigye should be taken to court.

“If he has committed an offence, he should be taken to court. Has someone committed an offence? Investigate and take him to court. Finished,” he said.

Kasingye emphasised that “whoever” took Tumwesigye, who is the family’s breadwinner, to Naggalama, should explain what informed his decision.

Despite these statements and queries by human rights activists, Tumwesigye remains in detention.

Article 23(4) of the Constitution of Uganda, provides that a “person arrested or detained for the purpose of bringing him or her before the court in execution of an order of the court; or Upon reasonable suspicion of his or her having committed or being about to commit a criminal offence under the laws of Uganda, Shall, if not earlier released, be brought to court as soon as possible but in any case not later than forty eight hours from the time of his or her arrest.”

Observers say continuing to house detainees in cells 24 hours a day with virtually nothing to do all day long and no access to natural light or fresh air is cruel.

“This could be my grave,” Tumwesigye told the doctor, adding, “If I committed a crime, let me face the courts of law.”


Header advertisement
To Top