South Sudan

Riek Machar Still in Sudan Hospital

South Sudan’s former First Vice President is currently receiving treatment in Khartoum, diagnosis Sudan where he was flown in an evacuation operation following deadly clashes at the Juba presidential palace on July 8, buy information pills Chimp Corps report.

Machar’s bodyguards reportedly tried to force their entry into the tightly-guarded presidential palace where he was holding talks with President Salva Kiir, sickness sparking a deadly gunfire exchange.

Machar was later escorted by United Nations peacekeepers to his base at Jebel.

However, the fighting raged on for several hours, compelling Chief of Staff Gen Paul Malong to use heavy artillery and warplanes to shell Machar’s base at Jebel.

The newly-trained commando force reportedly wiped out the last pockets of resistance, pushing Machar and his men deep into Equatoria forests.

According to Machar’s spokesperson, James Dak Gatdet, the rebel leader trekked for 40 days through the dense forests until he was rescued.

Gatdet on Tuesday revealed that Dr Machar was in Khartoum.

“He has regained strength after exhaustion and swollen leg. We thank Sudanese government for care,” said Gatdet.

On the hand, Sudan’s government said in a media statement that Machar arrived in “critical condition” which needed “immediate care.”

Machar’s close associates say Machar has an eye disease which worsened during the last few weeks.

He is expected to seek better health services abroad.

“Machar’s health is stable currently and he will remain in the country under comprehensive healthcare until he leaves to a destination of his choice to complete his treatment,” Khartoum said in the statement.

Ironically, Machar’s former close ally and opposition’s chief negotiator Gen Taban Deng was received in Khartoum as South Sudan’s First Vice President.

Gen Deng, who now leads the armed opposition and has promised to work with Kiir to restore peace to South Sudan, held talks with President Omar El-Bashir.


Deng handed over a special message from President Kiir, dealing with the relations between the two countries and held talks with a number of Sudanese officials.

He was seen off at Khartoum Airport by the First Vice – President of Sudan, Lt Gen Bakri Hassan Salih, and a number of officials.

The State Minister for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Kamal Ismail, said Sudan and South Sudan discussed all issues of mutual concern as well as their commitments in full transparency and clarity, especially in the security and economic fields, including the issues of the crossings between the two countries and the cooperation in the oil field, affirming that the two sides have reached full agreement on all these issues.

He said that the coming three weeks will reveal commitment of the two parties to implementation of the agreements.


Header advertisement
To Top