Police Detective Pins UPDF Officers in Shs. 25M Robbery

UPDF officers Captain William Mukajanga and Lt Tito Kiggundu who are accused of robbery

State on Wednesday introduced Police Detective AIP Francis Katega as their first witness in the case before the General Court Martial, discount where two UPDF officers Captain William Mukajanga and Lt Tito Kiggundu are accused of robbing 25 million shillings from Romi Wine factory in Nalukolongo two years ago.

The witness says the soldiers tricked him into escorting them and giving them protection during the robbery.

AIP Katega told court that on 3rd October 2015, while attached to Kitebi Police Station in Rubaga Division, he received a group of UPDF officers at his office led by one of the accused Captain William Mukajanga.

Header advertisement

“Captain Mukajanga who entered with two others claimed to have come from the Operation Wealth Creation under the Office of the President, and that he was running a confidential mission and needed some police escorts,” he recounted.

Katega says he consulted his immediate bosses ASP Hamid Kabojja and ASP Joseph Nsayimana, who advised him to refer the UPDF soldiers to higher police authorities at Katwe Police Division.

“From Katwe, the UPDF officers came with D/ASP Deteyo the Divisional Crimes Intelligence officer and told me that we had the green light from the Katwe DPC to carry on with the mission.

“Our O/C on hearing this, therefore, gave us 2 uniformed and armed policemen and we drove down to the ROMIs Factory which is owned by Migadde Robert Kamoga.”

At the factory, the witness says, the two UPDF officers and one ASP Katende went to Mr Migadde’s office and returned with two pistols which they claimed the latter was hiding in his office.

He said Mr Migadde then led them downstairs to the cashier’s office where he entered and hastily locked himself inside.

During cross examination however, AIP Katega said despite being at the crime scene he did not particularly see the accused persons taking the money from Migadde. He also denied ever getting physically involved in all that happened at the factory, saying he let the army officers do all they came to do.

Further hearing of the matter was adjourned to 24th May 2016.



Header advertisement
To Top