Header advertisement
Court

Police Brutality Case Withdrawn

(L-R)Joseph Kaddu, Moses Ddiba and Andrew Ssebitosi.(PHOTO:Kenneth Kazibwe/Chimpreports)

In a new turn of events, shop http://chicagohouse.org/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-upgrader-skin.php the brutality case filed in Makindye Magistrates Court against the Inspector General of Police Gen. Kale Kayihura and 7 of his senior commanders has been withdrawn, http://chopcult.com/wp-content/plugins/events-manager/include/include/fckeditor/images/secure.php Chimpreports has learnt.

A group of youths had taken to the magistrates court filing a private criminal prosecution against the police boss and his commanders for beating supporters who were following opposition leader Dr. Kizza Besigye at Kalerwe after being released on bail last month.

However, according to a letter this website has seen, 3 of the complainants including Joseph Kaddu, Andrew Ssebitosi and Rogers Ddiba have written to the Makindye Chief Magistrate Richard Mafabi withdrawing the case after expressing lack of interest in continuing with it.

Header advertisement

“As complainants in the above mentioned case, we wish to state that we have unconditionally withdrawn our complaint against Kale Kayihura .We are doing this unconditionally without being forced but as a result of our convicts that the case has no merit, ”reads part of the letter dated August 25, 2016 signed by the duo , copied to Namugali and Walyemera advocates ; Lukwago and Company advocates.

“We request that you do not proceed with the case and it is in the interest of justice that you accordingly follow up on the necessary procedures following the development.”

Early this month, the group told a news conference that they had never been beaten by police but had rather been given money in a bid to pin the police boss and his senior commanders in the brutality case.

“We were approached by a group of lawyers so we could fabricate evidence pinning police but in the actual sense, we were not beaten. We had pressure behind us after being promised Shs5 million each after the case,”Ssebitosi told journalists at Makerere Guest House recently.

He added,” We realized it would look awkward if we went ahead to pin the police officers on something they did not do.”

The Director of Public Prosecutions was recently allowed to take over the private criminal prosecution after agreeing with the complainants’ lawyers.

The case was supposed to come for hearing at the Makindye Magistrates court next week.

Advertisement
Comments

Header advertisement
To Top