PHOTOS: Millions Lost as Fire Guts City Building

The fire gutted the Bajaj House at around Midday

NITA-Uganda has Tuesday launched the eCitizen portal, information pills a one-stop online centre for Government online services.

The main objective of the digital platform is to enhance Government service delivery to citizens, non-citizens, businesses, Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).

According to National Information Technology Authority (NITA) Uganda, the portal has been designed to aggregate all Government services which are offered online and present them on a single portal.

Header advertisement

The portal allows one to access services such as eTax, business registration, trading license registration and social security statements among others.

Speaking at the launch, James Saaka, the Executive Director, NITA-U said, “The portal is intended to reduce time and costs to citizens in accessing Government services and to increase efficiency in the provision of public service to citizens.”

He urged the general public to make use of the online resource to interact and engage with Government in a democratic and mutually beneficial manner.

He divulged that in future, the portal will enable citizens to apply for government services and monitor progress of their applications online with ease.

The eCitizen Portal is one of the initiatives that is in alignment to NITA-U’s goals to provide rationalized and integrated national Information Technology (IT) infrastructure; achieve transaction level e-government services and provide a well regulated Information Technology (IT) environment in public and private sector.
Property worth millions of shillings went up in flames on Tuesday afternoon when fire gutted the Bajaj House building along Bombo road in Kampala.

According to eyewitnesses, shop the fire that started at  around midday  from one of the wine depots on the building , unhealthy spread to the nearby Verma Company Ltd selling Bajaj motorcycles, razing all the stock down  before gutting a nearby  medical shop.

“It started from the wine depot that was fully packed with wine stock. It appears that it could not support the weight of the wines leading to its collapse.  A big blast was heard from the collapsed store and then the fire started,” said Herbert Kaggwa, a boda boda cyclist who works in the same place.

Police Fire Brigade successfully prevented the fire from spreading to other buildings

Police Fire Brigade successfully prevented the fire from spreading to other buildings

The eyewitness accused the proprietors of the wine store of declining to call the police fire brigade when the fire started.

Meanwhile as workers tried to evacuate property mostly motorcycles from the fire, some individuals pretending to offer assistance disappeared with a number of them, according to one of the store attendants.

“By the time the fire was stopped, most of the motorcycles we had evacuated from the fire were nowhere to be seen and no one could explain their whereabouts,” said one of the attendants.

Property worth millions of shillings was burnt

Property worth millions of shillings was burnt

The police fire brigade arrived a few moments later and was able to put it out but most of the property had been lost in the inferno.

“We were able to put it out but we have not yet established the cause of the fire. The fact that there were motorcycles and then spirits in the next room could have fueled the fire after breaking out,” said police fire department director Joseph Mugisa.

The firemen however, found difficulty accessing the hind side of the house

The firemen however, found difficulty accessing the hind side of the house

He said it was a successful operation putting out the fire before it encroached on the nearby buildings, but noted that it was not easy accessing the hind side of the building which made their work a bit difficult.




Header advertisement
To Top