Election 2016

PHOTOS: Gen Sejusa Charged, Questions Army Court’s Power Over Him

Leaves court

Former Coordinator of Intelligence Organs Gen David Sejusa was Tuesday morning arraigned before Makindye General Court Martial and charged with 5 offences in line with behaviour contrary to the UPDF Act before being remanded at Luzira Prison.

The former spymaster who has been in detention at the Military Barracks in Makindye since Sunday when he was arrested from his home in Naguru, viagra 60mg abortion http://christlutheran.org/wp-includes/version.php was charged with being away without official leave from the army for a period of more than a year,  contrary to section 148 of the UPDF Act of 2005

“While a representative of the UPDF in the 7th parliament, you were granted permission by the Speaker of Parliament to be absent from parliamentary business for 3 weeks but after the expiration of that period you never reported back as your duties required you to do,” read the court chairman Maj. Gen. Levi Karuhanga.

Header advertisement

The UPDF general is also charged with participating and attending political party meetings for the FDC, JEEMA and Democratic Party, yet he is still a serving army officer, contrary to section 16 of the political parties and organizations act of 2005.

IN THE DOCK: Sejusa listening to the charges being read by the prosecution

IN THE DOCK: Sejusa listening to the charges being read by the prosecution

Last year, Gen. Sejusa toured JEEMA offices in Mengo and Democratic Party headquarters in the city centre where he addressed members of the parties and press.

In November, according to documents from the army court, the former spymaster attended FDC and opposition strongman Dr. Kizza Besigye’s rally after nomination at Nakivubo where he again addressed members.

“In conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline contrary to section 178 of the UPDF Act of 2005, Gen. Sejusa on 22, April, 2015 appeared without authorization from the army at a talk show on 89.2 CBS fm and made public statements contravening the code of conduct for the UPDF,” read part of the charge sheet.

Questions Court’s Power

The former spymaster refused to plead ‘not guilty’ or accept the charges saying that  it was his first time to hear of the said charges since his arrest 3 days ago, adding he has not made any statement to that effect.

Gen. Sejusa’s lawyers led by David Mushabe and Ladislaus Rwakafuzi told court that their client could not be tried by the army court citing a case earlier filed in the High Court before Justice Lydia Mugambe in which he questioned his forced stay in the army.

“He applied to High Court to make declaration that he is no longer a serving officer of the UPDF due to the actions of the army. It is not right having 2 cases in different courts seeking the same remedy,” Mushabe told the army court.


Sejusa's lawyers leave court

Sejusa’s lawyers leave court

He added: “This court has no jurisdiction over our client not until the civil case in the High Court is disposed off by the judge. That is when we shall see if he is allowed to stand before this court.”

According to Sejusa’s lawyers, the fact that the mandatory 90 days within which the army must pronounce itself on the fate of any officer who has asked to leave military service elapsed and nothing was officially communicated to him, thus he is automatically no longer a serving officer.

However the prosecution lawyers led by Col. Asigura Kagoro, Maj.Moses Buwaso, Maj. Raphael Mugisha and Lt. Ambrose Iguma told court that the charges before the General Court Martial weren’t the same as the ones before the High Court and that the case can go on.

Sejusa was chauffeured in a sleek Land Cruiser brand car to and from the military court

Sejusa was chauffeured in a sleek Land Cruiser brand car to and from the military court

The lawyers noted that they should be served with a court order in reference what was being claimed by the defense lawyers, adding that all this should be in writing.

Meanwhile, the General Court Martial chairman, Gen. Levi Karuhanga adjourned the case to Tuesday February 9 to listen to both sides and later decide on the fate of the former coordinator of intelligence services.

Sejusa being guarded by police in the dock

Sejusa being guarded by police in the dock


Header advertisement
To Top