Sport

Onyebuchi Undergoes Second Operation, Shs18m Still Needed

18920652_1354318041331787_5478943284129128016_n
Onyebuchi could afford a smile after the operation today

Former Express Football Club defender Vincent Onyebuchi has undergone another operation on Monday morning at Comprehensive Rehabilitation Services in Uganda (CoRSU).

Onyebuchi who suffered a career threatening injury in May as Express played Proline at Wankulukuku successfully went through the second operation on his left leg at CoRSU in Kisubi along Entebbe road.

The Nigerian defender who was a center of attraction for the past three weeks after literally being dumped by the club at Mengo Hospital got a sigh of relief after the public engaged in fundraising campaign to have him referred to CoRSU.

The drive generated about Shs10m but that is still short of the projected Shs30m that is required to pay for the hospital bills and cater for the player’s recovering process.

The defender underwent a tissue transplant to allow the small tibia bone develop a process that doctors confirmed would take at least 2 years to heal.

The first operation led by Dr. Andrew Hills was done on July 12 on the lower left foot.

In the hospital receipt that ChimpReports has got a copy of, only Shs7.9m has been cleared off the total of twenty six million, three hundred thirty three thousand, and eight hundred shillings (26,333,800).

The CoRSU receipt indicating the money paid and balance left

The CoRSU receipt indicating the money paid and balance left

Former Express FC CEO, Hamza Jjunju who has been at the forefront of helping Onyebuchi confirms the above balance and indicates they still have a long way to go.

“We collected Shs10m from the Save Onyebuchi campaign and we have been able to clear Shs7.9m at CoRSU. We paid Shs500,000 at Nsambya Hospital for the scan, then catered for him the four days before taking him to CoRSU and if you add his upkeep and the people that are looking after him, so the money we collected has been fully utilized,” Jjunju explained when contacted.

Asked about whether they will carry on with the campaign to solicit money for Onyebuchi, Jjunju indicated they will do anything possible to clear the bills.

“We still have hope that the general public will help to clear the remaining balance. We are planning an event in the days to come to fundraise,” he said.

“We approached several dignitaries and we hope to get feedback from them very soon and we are also planning to engage the Nigeria High Commission in Uganda incase everything fails,” Jjunju added.

Nakiwala unfulfilled promises 

Hon. Florence Nakiwala Kiyingi, the State Minister for Youth and Children affairs who also doubles as Express FC chairperson after receiving criticism from the public about her comments on Onyebuchi had promised to accord the injured player VIP treatment at Mulago Hospital.

However, a source we met at CoRSU but preferred anonymity revealed to ChimpReports that the Minister has never returned since then.

“I think she was just trying to clear her name in the public after the earlier statements she made on the matter but she has never returned to check on Onyebuchi,” intimated the source.

“We have not got anything that she promised. She (Nakiwala) said she will return to us after the trip to Tanzania but we haven’t gotten any feedback from her as yet,” the source added.

Onyebuchi joined Express FC in January this year on a six months contract.

He got the unfortunate incident on May 9 at Wankulukuku as Express FC was playing for Proline FC.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top