The UPDF has warned it will not accept threats from Gen David Sejusa who is pushing for his retirement from the armed forces, ambulance more about http://dadstreet.com/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-terms-list-table.php insisting the former Coordinator of Intelligence Organs “should be patient.”
Through his lawyers, this http://coronaextra.com.au/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/mvc/class.mvc_option_handler.php Sejusa last week threatened that if the army does not retire him by Monday this week, page he would seek legal redress.
But UPDF spokesperson Lt Col Paddy Ankunda on Wednesday told ChimpReports in an interview that, “The UPDF, as an institution, cannot be pushed. It exercises its constitutional mandate of retiring soldiers at its wish. You don’t command it.”
Asked whether the UPDF has any intentions of releasing the controversial and maverick former spymaster from the army, Ankunda observed: “Let him be patient.”
Reminded that Sejusa said he had agreed with President Museveni to retire him from the army and that CDF Gen Katumba Wamala had also made instructions to that effect, Ankunda said the institution has never made such a commitment.
“It is not true at all that we said we would retire him. Retirement follows laid down procedures. Gen Sejusa has to be patient,” he added.
Gen Sejusa fled to exile in 2013 after reportedly leaking his own letter alleging that the army and government officers opposed to President Museveni’s succession plan were being targeted for assassination.
Government dismissed the claim as “baseless” and “alarmist” before shutting down Sejusa’s espionage offices and arresting his aides who are now on trial for planning to overthrow Museveni’s government.
Sejusa was later declared a deserter and kicked out of Parliament as the army’s representative.
The flamboyant General, who is accused of human rights abuses while leading military operations against LRA rebels in Northern Uganda, is likely to return to court to compel the army to set him free.
Sejusa, who joined the National Resistance Army (NRA), now Uganda Peoples’ Defence Forces (UPDF) in 1981 in a guerrilla struggle to oust Milton Obote, is a historical member of the High Command of the NRA.
Previous court battle
In 1996, Sejusa petitioned the Constitutional Court to declare that his resignation from the army could not be questioned because he had been appointed Presidential Advisor on military affairs and to determine whether he could be prosecuted by the army’s High Command for offences he allegedly committed in the course of his testimony to the parliamentary committee on defence and internal affairs.
He had earlier told MPs that the war in Northern Uganda had been prolonged by corruption and inefficiency of army chiefs.
Fearing disciplinary action from the military court over his testimony, which he believed was true and given in good faith, Sejusa resigned.
On December 3, 1996, Sejusa wrote a resignation letter to the President Museveni who doubled as the chairman of the army High command and Minister of Defence.
The case took a twist on December 8, 1996, with the state minister for defence rejecting his resignation, saying Sejusa must follow the law, particularly section 28(1) of the NRA Regulation Statutory Instrument No 6 of 1993, to guide his intentions of quitting the army.
Sejusa fired back, arguing that threats of disciplinary action against him for speaking his mind violated his inherent human rights.
State’s lawyer, Peter Kabatsi, said then that the President had no authority to remove an officer from the army according to the 1993 NRA regulations and that a regulation made under a Statute of Parliament would not override an express power granted in the Constitution.
The Constitutional Court concurred with Sejusa, saying he was right to seek legal redress after fearing that his rights were being threatened.
The Judge said the 1993 army regulations did not govern the High Command and that Sejusa’s resignation should be considered since he did not want to be compelled to serve an institution he no longer wished to be associated with.
However, the Attorney General appealed against the decision, saying the Constitutional Court judges erred in law when they held that any threatened disciplinary, administrative, criminal or civil action against Tinyefuza in any tribunal, forum or court of law, arising out of his testimony was unconstitutional because it violated Article 97 of the Constitution.
Supreme Court judges James Wako Wambuzi, John Tsekooko, Joseph Mulenga, Alfred Karokora, George Kanyeihamba and Leticia Kikonyogo allowed the appeal and set aside the Constitutional Court order.
On January 28, 1998, the Attorney General won the case and Tinyefuza continued to serve the army after reconciling with Museveni at a function in western Uganda.
President Museveni has ordered security chiefs to “do everything it takes to get those murderers” who took the life of Deputy Director of Public Prosecution, sale http://chienyenthinh.com/modules/mod_virtuemart_product/mod_virtuemart_product.php Joan Kagezi on Monday night.
Museveni reportedly asked Kayihura how Kagezi was shot and efforts taken to save her life.
The President then directed that Police liaises with other security organs to comb Kampala with the view of arresting the suspects.
Following the president’s instructions, a security meeting was held on Tuesday morning where intelligence officials selected a team to hunt down the assassins.
Gen Kayihura is leading the team which hopes to arrest the suspects before President Museveni arrives at Entebbe International Airport today.
Deputy Police spokesperson, Polly Namaye confirmed to ChimpReports that, “as Police we are not working alone. We are investigating this shooting with the help of other security and intelligence agencies.”
She added: “We have joined hands to ensure we get on top of this situation.”
The Chief of Defence Forces, Gen Katumba Wamala on Monday announced that the army is joining Uganda Police in the hunt for the assailants who killed Kagezi in Kiwatule, Kampala after parking at the roadside to buy fruits.
She was gunned down in front of her kids, who, after the heavy gunshots, screamed: “Mummy, mummy, mummy!”
While addressing media at Bombo Army Barracks during the retirement of over 500 soldiers, Katumba said, “We have put in place a team to assist Police in the search of the murderers who killed the state prosecutor.”
“And people should not get astonished by our involvement in this case because all the time we have been coming in to help our sister security organs when need arises.”
Katumba added that this team, consisting of senior army officers would be headed by Commander of Land forces Maj Gen David Muhoozi.
“We as security organizations in Uganda agreed that in case of such a security hitch, we have to join efforts and maintain peace and stability in our country.”
The United States President, sildenafil http://churchofthekingmcallen.org/wp-includes/post-formats.php Barack Obama has yet again used his extraordinary powers that don’t require any Congressional approval and extended last year’s National Emergency Act on the war ravaged South Sudan.
The US Constitutional National Emergency act also encompasses the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).
The IEEPA authorizes the president to declare the existence of an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, cure http://degrisogono.com/safe/plugins/wpml-cms-nav/embedded/autoload.php foreign policy, or economy of the United States that originates “in whole or substantial part outside the United States.”
It further authorizes the president, after such a declaration, to block transactions and freeze assets to deal with the threat.
The impact of Obama’s orders is that it puts the country’s leaders at the risk of having their assets in foreign countries placed under a caveat or even facing direct sanctions.
U.S. can as well choose to block South Sudan from the international global finance systems thus crippling the country’s economy.
The Obama administration in response to the deadly civil war that broke out in South Sudan in December 2013, declared national emergency executive order on 3rd April 2014 when the war was worsening despite international community calls for President Salva Kiir and his rival Dr. Riek Machar to end the conflict.
The war is considered by Washington as a direct threat to US interests in the region.
Two US Marine soldiers were wounded days before the emergency declaration when they entered the country for an evacuation mission.
On Wednesday Obama in a statement released by the White House extended the emergency status that was due to expire in two days.
“In accordance with this provision, I have sent to the Federal Register for publication the enclosed notice stating that the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13664 of April 3, 2014, with respect to South Sudan is to continue in effect beyond April 3, 2015,” part of the statement reads.
Obama says he maintained the declaration since the situation in the world`s youngest nation has not positively changed by adversely aggravated including recruitment of child soldiers and other humanitarian atrocities.
“The situation in and in relation to South Sudan, which has been marked by activities that threaten the peace, security, or stability of South Sudan and the surrounding region, including widespread violence and atrocities, human rights abuses, recruitment and use of child soldiers, attacks on peacekeepers, and obstruction of humanitarian operations, continues to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States.”
As part of the emergency declaration, two South Sudan military commanders each from the either side of the conflict have been blacklisted by the US Treasury Department.
Their identities are yet to be unveiled to the public.