NTV Uganda is yet to agree with President Museveni’s staff on coverage of the rallies
NTV Uganda crew resumes its coverage of President Museveni’s campaign trail on Thursday following a row with State House over drone footage.
The team will be led by Maurice Ochol – a Makerere University trained journalist.
The broadcaster was last week kicked out of Museveni’s campaign trail for refusing to air drone footage of the ruling party’s rallies.
State House argued then that the footage was always authentic and clearly showed the president’s political strength ahead of the 2016 elections.
However, led by content manager Daniel Kalinaki, NTV reasoned that broadcasting drone pictures gave undue advantage to the incumbent against rival candidates.
But Museveni’s team said Kalinaki had scores to settle with the president and that they could not accept being mistreated by NTV simply because of NRM’s superior technology.
The matter generated a heated debate on social media platforms with some arguing that the state was arm-twisting NTV for better coverage.
Others said the opposition should as well buy drones to compete with NRM.
Highly placed sources told ChimpReports on Friday that following behind-the-scenes talks with State House officials, the broadcaster agreed to air NRM drone footages.
However, NTV insisted that the footages would be labelled ‘PPU’ to show the source.
Efforts by some NTV managers to remove Ochol from the field did not bear fruit.
State House said its security was too busy to vet other journalists as the campaigns came to a close.
NTV boss Aggie Konde had provided names of journalists including Emma Mutaizibwa to replace Ochol.
Ochol and his team start work today in Kiboga where Museveni is beginning another round of campaigns in the central region.
NRM campaign media team on Thursday received a communication to “Expect to be rejoined by the NTV crew effective tomorrow, led by Ochol.”
It added: “The NTV managers have, in principle, agreed to be accurate, fair, and balanced in their coverage of the NRM Presidential candidate.”
Officials further said NTV pledged “… not, again, seek to undermine or disrupt the candidate’s campaign publicity program.”