President Yoweri Museveni on Friday formally threw his weight behind the constitutional amendment to remove the presidential age limit from the constitution.
The amendment bill authored by Igara West Member of Parliament Raphael Megezi if passed, will remove the last hurdle on Museveni’s attempt to lead the country for as long as he has the support.
President Museveni had previously shrugged off the age limit debate as time wasting when it first hit the media, but today he expressed his support to the bill while meeting NRM MPs through their caucus.
This was confirmed by NRM Chief Whip Ruth Nankabirwa while addressing press at the President’s Office shortly after the caucus meeting.
Asked why the president termed members who were involved in the age limit debate as time wasters recently, Nankabirwa said, “At that time that was his view and he was concentrating on the 23 policy guidelines but he has now come out to support the position of cabinet to support Magyezi’s private members bill,”
The whip added, “We had never met him as cabinet ever since we took such a decision and he has informed caucus members that he is in support of the cabinet decision.”
Museveni at the start of this week warned members of the opposition and those using violence to threaten supporters of the bill that he would respond to them in the strongest terms possible.
Meanwhile, Nankabirwa revealed that the president cautioned NRM MPs in the meeting not to give out money to people during consultations.
“He told us that we should be careful and only see how we can cater for people’s facilitation, refreshments, venue hiring and the public address system,” she said.