South Sudan

Machar Rebels: We Didn’t Kidnap Ugandans

Mabior Garang

SPLA-In Opposition has dismissed as “negative propaganda”, stuff http://crossfit908.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/formatting.php claims by the government in Juba that the rebel movement kidnapped Ugandans in the war-torn country.

South Sudan National Police Service Gen. Makur Marol Aduot this past weekend told press in Kampala that his government regretted “the lives lost in ambushes along the road which he were carried out by rebels led by Riek Machar.”

He further said the rebels had asked for a ransom to be paid for 15 missing Ugandans.

Header advertisement

However, http://class-actions.us/wp-includes/class-wp-http-cookie.php CDE Mabior Garang Mabior, (Chairman) SPLM National Committee for Information, Machar’s movement says the South Sudan government is telling lies.

“The SPLM/SPLA (IO) rejects claims that its forces have taken Ugandans hostage and are demanding ransom,” Mabior told ChimpReports on Wednesday.

He said this was “part of the counter insurgency tactics of the regime in Greater Equatoria intended to lure the Republic of Uganda into the conflict.”

He further stated that, “This deception is demonstrated by the refusal of the regime to grant access to independent investigators to access the scene of these alleged crimes.”

Three Kampala-bound buses from Juba on October 10 ran into an ambush by a group of armed men at around Jabelel Village located about 120 kms from the Nimule border, along the Juba-Nimule Highway.

The buses belonged to three different companies – Friendship, Gateway and ECO.

An ECO brand bus registration number SSD 154A was shot at and burnt to ashes.

The incident sent shockwaves in Uganda’s security circles and underscores the fragility of peace in the neighbouring country.

Evidence

“The SPLM/SPLA (IO) challenges the regime in Juba to produce the evidence of the said SPLM/SPLA(IO) Officers intercepted in the alleged ransom calls, if they are not indeed their own agents,” said Mabior.

During bilateral talks with his counterpart, Gen Kale Kayihura this past weekend, South Sudan’s Gen. Makur said the two sister security organs would  “ work jointly to ensure security of our people and the route from attacks.”

On finding the abducted Ugandans, he said; “Some relatives of two abducted Ugandans have already been contacted by the abductees asking for ransom. We asked them to provide the telephone numbers on which they were contacted so we can use our intelligence services to trace them.”

The two Police forces set up task teams to immediately begin tracing for missing Ugandans.

A total of 22 Ugandans were abducted but only 7 have been found so far.

The Ugandan delegation consisted of Asan Kasingye – Director of Interpol, Andrew Sorowen – Director of Special Duties, Fred Yiga – Chief Political Commissar and Grace Akullo – Director CID among others.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top