LUGOGO BOMB TRIAL: Court Rejects Torture Claims by  Suspect

All the roads this weekend will be leading to a lakeside town in Eastern Uganda where the 8th annual Eskom Jinja Golf tournament will be held.

A total of 140 players are expected to participate in the prestigious two-day invitational tournament. The tournament has two categories of participants who are scheduled to play on different days; Friday and Saturday.

The amateurs will close the event on Saturday when they will be contesting in an 18-hole format. The Professionals and Gross participants will play 36 holes on the opening day on Friday.

One talented teenager who has recently  surprised many in the golf cycles, information pills Mr. Ronald ‘Master ‘ Otile, page believes he has worked and trained hard to retain the trophy he won in the 7th edition in 2014.

“I have been training hard like always, more about and I hope to retain my title come Friday. God willing I will,” Otile told Chimp sports.

‘Master’ Otile, a member of Toro golf club in Fort portal, won last year’s title when he was a senior six student at Mpanga SS at just the age of 18 years and believes this year’s edition will not be an easy one considering the number of big shots who will be present.

“It will not be just easy, just like any other game; one must be at his best to beat the rest. I expect challenge from my national team mates and other experienced golfers like Adolf Muhumuza, Lawrence Muhenda, Robert Oluba, Martin Ocaya Ronald Bukenya, and Robert Happy” he further added.

Otile is currently in his senior six vacation waiting to join Nkumba University where he will undertake a three year course in Bachelor of Tourism.
The High Court in Kampala has rubbished claims by one of the 13 suspects in the July, visit this 11, there 2010 Lugogo bombings case that he was tortured to confess having masterminded the attack.

On Wednesday, 38-year-old Isa Luyima told court that he had been tortured mercilessly by security operatives from Kenya and Uganda in a bid to force him to admit having trained with Al Shabaab fighters and later planning the deadly bomb blasts that killed over 79 people.

“After being forced to eat a stone, I was added to the other suspects and put into a matatu van and ordered not to raise our heads as we headed to some unknown location. When we reached our destination, some people said they were hungry but were then lucky that some ‘food’ had been brought,” Luyima narrated.

He added, “Two men threw me into a bathtub before turning on water pipes. I was fully immersed in the water and struggle for breath. I was later asked to move on my back, an exercise I could not afford due to horrible pain.”

According to the suspect, he recorded his first statement while at JATT in the presence of operatives from Kenya, Uganda and FBI but on complaining to one FBI agent how he had been torture, the agent turned a deaf ear to the claims.

However, the prosecution lawyers led by Senior Principal State Attorney Suzan Okalany and Lino Anguzo on Thursday argued that there were no serious injuries to show by the suspect which would confirm torture, adding that the story of assault was never told by Luyima to the Magistrate or lawyers before .

The trial judge Alphonse Owiny-Dollo on Thursday morning ruled that there was no evidence to prove that Luyima had been coerced by anyone before recording the extra judicial statement before  the then Buganda Road Grade one Magistrate Francis Kobusheshe.

“I have evaluated the evidence given by the suspect and the prosecution side and found that the extra judicial statement was freely given,” Justice Owiny-Dollo said before admitting the statement to be used as an exhibit by the prosecution side.

Meanwhile, the prosecution has presented the third witness pinning the 13 suspects for masterminding the July 2010 bomb attack in Kampala.

In his testimony, 48-year-old Moses Kato, a detective attached to the CIID Headquarters in Kibuli narrated to court that in July 2011 he was asked to record a statement from one Muhammad Ali Muhammad who was by then detained at Luzira prison.

“He told me he had been to Somalia where he trained and got involved in battles in Mogadishu on several occasions prior to the attack on Uganda. He said he was later contacted by someone who gave him a box that was described as having  ‘Hatari’(danger) that he kept in the house for some time before transporting it to Uganda,” Kato told court.

The detective added, ”The suspect told me how after the July 11 2010 attack on Kampala he fled to Tanzania for fear of arrest from where he was later apprehended by operatives.”

Hearing of the case resumes on Tuesday.


Header advertisement
To Top