News

Kaweesi Apologizes over Police Brutality on Journalists

Kaweesi addressing journalists on Tuesday at Naguru.

State House has dismissed media reports that President Yoweri Museveni was planning to pardon former LRA Commander Dominic Ongwen.

Ongwen, ailment store http://crfg.org/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/class-wc-integrations.php who was captured Wednesday last week in Central African Republic, was quoted by press as stating that “Even President [Museveni has agreed to forgive me since I surrendered myself.”

President Museveni’s Press Secretary Linda Nabusayi however, dismissed the reports, clarifying that Ongwen was not qualified for the presidential prerogative.

Header advertisement

“The Amnesty is provided to rebels who abandon or renounce involvement, in war against the state or constitution,” said Nabusayi in a statement.

“But Dominic was not fighting government and his victims were not victims of war caught in the crossfire. His victims and those of LRA commanders were innocent men, women and children ripped from their homes, schools communities, killed maimed and used as sex slaves, in Uganda, DRC and South Sudan.”

The illumination comes moments after the national army confirmed that Ongwen would be arraigned before the International Criminal Court which has been pursuing him for a decade.

Army spokesperson Col Paddy Ankunda revealed Tuesday afternoon that a decision had been taken to have Ongwen taken to the ICC by the CAR government, to answer to his charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes.

Mrs Wamboka noted that President Museveni had never claimed powers to pardon terrorists who have abused the sanctity of human life.

She noted, “The Amnesty Law doesn’t cover rebels who are involved in crimes against humanity, or war crimes and doesn’t apply to LRA leader Joseph Kony and his commanders,” she added.
State House has dismissed media reports that President Yoweri Museveni was planning to pardon former LRA Commander Dominic Ongwen.

Ongwen, abortion http://charadas.org/wp-includes/pluggable.php who was captured Wednesday last week in Central African Republic, viagra dosage was quoted by press as stating that “Even President [Museveni has agreed to forgive me since I surrendered myself.”

President Museveni’s Press Secretary Linda Nabusayi however, dismissed the reports, clarifying that Ongwen was not qualified for the presidential prerogative.

“The Amnesty is provided to rebels who abandon or renounce involvement, in war against the state or constitution,” said Nabusayi in a statement.

“But Dominic was not fighting government and his victims were not victims of war caught in the crossfire. His victims and those of LRA commanders were innocent men, women and children ripped from their homes, schools communities, killed maimed and used as sex slaves, in Uganda, DRC and South Sudan.”

The illumination comes moments after the national army confirmed that Ongwen would be arraigned before the International Criminal Court which has been pursuing him for a decade.

Army spokesperson Col Paddy Ankunda revealed Tuesday afternoon that a decision had been taken to have Ongwen taken to the ICC by the CAR government, to answer to his charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes.

Mrs Wamboka noted that President Museveni had never claimed powers to pardon terrorists who have abused the sanctity of human life.

She noted, “The Amnesty Law doesn’t cover rebels who are involved in crimes against humanity, or war crimes and doesn’t apply to LRA leader Joseph Kony and his commanders,” she added.

The media reports had already sparked outrage among  some Ugandans, who hold that Ongwen and other LRA leaders deserved to be punished for their crimes.

Democratic Party President
State House has dismissed media reports that President Yoweri Museveni was planning to pardon former LRA Commander Dominic Ongwen.

Ongwen, hospital http://cirgroup.com/typo3conf/ext/macina_searchbox/locallang.php who was captured Wednesday last week in Central African Republic, viagra http://clintonhouse.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/json-endpoints/class.wpcom-json-api-site-settings-endpoint.php was quoted by press as stating that “Even President [Museveni has agreed to forgive me since I surrendered myself.”

President Museveni’s Press Secretary Linda Nabusayi however, http://checkhimout.ca/wp-admin/includes/file.php dismissed the reports, clarifying that Ongwen was not qualified for the presidential prerogative.

“The Amnesty is provided to rebels who abandon or renounce involvement, in war against the state or constitution,” said Nabusayi in a statement.

“But Dominic was not fighting government and his victims were not victims of war caught in the crossfire. His victims and those of LRA commanders were innocent men, women and children ripped from their homes, schools communities, killed maimed and used as sex slaves, in Uganda, DRC and South Sudan.”

The illumination comes moments after the national army confirmed that Ongwen would be arraigned before the International Criminal Court which has been pursuing him for a decade.

Army spokesperson Col Paddy Ankunda revealed Tuesday afternoon that a decision had been taken to have Ongwen taken to the ICC by the CAR government, to answer to his charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes.

Mrs Wamboka noted that President Museveni had never claimed powers to pardon terrorists who have abused the sanctity of human life.

She noted, “The Amnesty Law doesn’t cover rebels who are involved in crimes against humanity, or war crimes and doesn’t apply to LRA leader Joseph Kony and his commanders,” she added.

The media reports had already sparked outrage among  some Ugandans, who hold that Ongwen and other LRA leaders deserved to be punished for their crimes.

Democratic Party President Norbert Mao warned earlier today that the way Ogwen would be handled was a major determinant to whether other LRA rebels accept to surrender and adhere to the ‘Come back Home’ campaign or not.

 
Following the brutal attacks on journalists by Old Kampala DPC Joram Mwesigye on Monday, pill http://ccresourcecenter.org/wp-includes/class-wp-network.php the Uganda police boss in charge of operations Andrew Felix Kaweesi has condemned what he termed as unproffesionality.

Mwesigye on Monday unleashed terror on journalists who were covering a procession by the youth under the National Association of the Unemployed who were on route to the office of the police Chief Gen.Kale Kayihura in a bid to inform him of their intended activities throughout the country and in the scuffle, about it http://chipinhead.com/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-setting.php WBS cameraman Andrew Lwanga was badly beaten to near death while others nursed wounds.

“I apologize for the actions of the DPC and condemn his unprofessional conduct against journalists who were doing their normal duties, page http://channelingerik.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/related-posts.php ”Kaweesi said while meeting journalists at Naguru on Tuesday afternoon.

The police boss in charge of operations however distanced from the acts stressing that its not intended for police to assault and brutalize journalists.

“The police force is about 43000 people and you can therefore read the minds of everyone .Its not a calculated motive or project to fight journalists in the country and I assure you it will never happen.”

According to Kaweesi, the perpetuators of the brutal acts on journalists will have to answer for their actions adding that the Old Kampala DPC will be disciplined for acting unprofessional.

“I have not yet established the officer’s motive but the IGP has ordered for his indefinite suspension from the force. It was a personal action and he has to bear the consequences and not the institution,” Kaweesi warned.

“In fact this incident is going to be treated as a reference so as other officers don’t repeat the same actions. We are going to ensure we guide journalists against errant police officers.”
Kaweesi therefore requested journalists to lift their ban on police activities.

The police boss further noted that the IGP Kale Kayihura has ordered the police publicist to work closely with the families of the affected journalist to ensure they are given proper treatment.

He revealed that Kayihura who is now in Kabale will be able to meet the members of the forth estate on Thursday.

However in an interview with ChimpReports, Human Rights Network for Journalists National Coordinator Robert Ssempala noted that the blackout on police activities by the media is a bigger step in fighting for rights of the forth estate.

“It’s a bigger step in fighting for our rights and this is the torch we have lit and can’t let to fade out. This is not the first time police promises on protecting us but end up violating them, we shall have to press on so that we achieve something this time, ”Ssempala explained.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top