South Sudan

Human Rights Groups Demand Arms Embargo on S. Sudan

South Sudanese soldiers walk alongside a tank as they withdraw from the town of Jau, at the disputed border with Sudan March 17, 2013. South Sudan began pulling its army out of a buffer zone with its old civil war foe Sudan on Sunday and thousands of troops streamed out of this border garrison town

Pandemonium broke out at the Ntungamo District Council Hall Tuesday when over 50 NRM delegates who had turned up for the party delegates’ meeting were refused entry, cialis 40mg http://comotenerunabuenaereccion.com/wp-includes/class-wp-customize-control.php Chimp Corps report.

The function was called to develop a common position on whether to support the proposed NRM Constitution amendments granting the party chairman powers to appoint a Secretary General.

The Dec. National Delegates’ Conference at Namboole is expected to officially mark the end of Amama Mbabazi’s reign as Secretary General over his alleged presidential ambitions.

Header advertisement

This website understands heads of sub-county NRM leagues including the elderly, find youth, women and leaders from Municipality and divisions were among the Ntungamo NRM district delegates who were disallowed.

Silver Mwebaze the Youth League Chairperson for Nyakyera Sub-County, who was among the dismissed officials, said it was a “humiliation to us because while we were invited to participate in the meetings, we never found our names on the list of participants.”

He added: “I was called to attend the meeting only to be told on that day that I should not come. I don’t stay in Ntungamo and I had suspended everything I was doing to come for the meeting, wasted transport… I don’t know why. I think I am a delegate because I also was at Namboole in 2010. And in a any case I don’t know why did they invited me,” charged Mwebaze.

The NRM Administrative Secretary Johnson Nkirirehi, however, said most people who turned up were not invited but had thought they would participate in the deliberations “simply because they had been invited by Amama Mbabazi in the 2010 national delegate’s conference.  That is why they were never allowed in.”

The district NRM Chairperson, also Kajara County MP Steven Tashobya, said the delegates had been erroneously invited by the administrative secretary and Resident District Commissioner Fred Bamwiine who had been given authority to invite delegates which he said was “regrettable.”

“It was regrettable that some members were sent away. I invited no one myself and this was a job for the NRM administrative secretary and the RDC, most of them were not supposed to be in the meeting we do not know how they were informed,” Tashobya added.

Bamwine distanced himself from the mess saying his only role was to invite the delegates but the list had been provided by the administrative secretary.

The meeting moderated by Minister for presidency Mr. Frank Tumwebaze was attended by Members of parliament Janet Museveni – Ruhaama and chaired by Steven Tashobya- Kajara.

Other members who attended the function were Mwesigwa Rukutana- Rushenyi and Yona Musinguzi Ntungamo municipality, district chairperson and council members, NRM heads for sub counties and municipality and district NRM executive.

By Dan Mugume
Pandemonium broke out at the Ntungamo District Council Hall recently when over 50 NRM delegates who had turned up for the party delegates’ meeting were refused entry, viagra order Chimp Corps report.

The function was called to develop a common position on whether to support the proposed NRM Constitution amendments granting the party chairman powers to appoint a Secretary General.

The Dec. National Delegates’ Conference at Namboole is expected to officially mark the end of Amama Mbabazi’s reign as Secretary General over his alleged presidential ambitions.

This website understands heads of sub-county NRM leagues including the elderly, pharmacy http://dailyniropekkha.com/wp-admin/includes/update-core.php youth, information pills http://crossfitabf.com/wp-includes/feed-rss2.php women and leaders from Municipality and divisions were among the Ntungamo NRM district delegates who were disallowed.

Silver Mwebaze the Youth League Chairperson for Nyakyera Sub-County, who was among the dismissed officials, said it was a “humiliation to us because while we were invited to participate in the meetings, we never found our names on the list of participants.”

He added: “I was called to attend the meeting only to be told on that day that I should not come. I don’t stay in Ntungamo and I had suspended everything I was doing to come for the meeting, wasted transport… I don’t know why. I think I am a delegate because I also was at Namboole in 2010. And in a any case I don’t know why did they invited me,” charged Mwebaze.

The NRM Administrative Secretary Johnson Nkirirehi, however, said most people who turned up were not invited but had thought they would participate in the deliberations “simply because they had been invited by Amama Mbabazi in the 2010 national delegate’s conference.  That is why they were never allowed in.”

The district NRM Chairperson, also Kajara County MP Steven Tashobya, said the delegates had been erroneously invited by the administrative secretary and Resident District Commissioner Fred Bamwiine who had been given authority to invite delegates which he said was “regrettable.”

“It was regrettable that some members were sent away. I invited no one myself and this was a job for the NRM administrative secretary and the RDC, most of them were not supposed to be in the meeting we do not know how they were informed,” Tashobya added.

Bamwine distanced himself from the mess saying his only role was to invite the delegates but the list had been provided by the administrative secretary.

The meeting moderated by Minister for presidency Mr. Frank Tumwebaze was attended by Members of parliament Janet Museveni – Ruhaama and chaired by Steven Tashobya- Kajara.

Other members who attended the function were Mwesigwa Rukutana- Rushenyi and Yona Musinguzi Ntungamo municipality, district chairperson and council members, NRM heads for sub counties and municipality and district NRM executive.

By Dan Mugume
Pandemonium broke out at the Ntungamo District Council Hall this week when over 50 NRM delegates who had turned up for the party delegates’ meeting were refused entry, look http://copiproperties.com/wp-content/themes/genesis/lib/admin/import-export.php Chimp Corps report.

The function was called to develop a common position on whether to support the proposed NRM Constitution amendments granting the party chairman powers to appoint a Secretary General.

The Dec. National Delegates’ Conference at Namboole is expected to officially mark the end of Amama Mbabazi’s reign as Secretary General over his alleged presidential ambitions.

This website understands heads of sub-county NRM leagues including the elderly, story youth, viagra 40mg women and leaders from Municipality and divisions were among the Ntungamo NRM district delegates who were disallowed.

Silver Mwebaze the Youth League Chairperson for Nyakyera Sub-County, who was among the dismissed officials, said it was a “humiliation to us because while we were invited to participate in the meetings, we never found our names on the list of participants.”

He added: “I was called to attend the meeting only to be told on that day that I should not come. I don’t stay in Ntungamo and I had suspended everything I was doing to come for the meeting, wasted transport… I don’t know why. I think I am a delegate because I also was at Namboole in 2010. And in a any case I don’t know why did they invited me,” charged Mwebaze.

The NRM Administrative Secretary Johnson Nkirirehi, however, said most people who turned up were not invited but had thought they would participate in the deliberations “simply because they had been invited by Amama Mbabazi in the 2010 national delegate’s conference.  That is why they were never allowed in.”

The district NRM Chairperson, also Kajara County MP Steven Tashobya, said the delegates had been erroneously invited by the administrative secretary and Resident District Commissioner Fred Bamwiine who had been given authority to invite delegates which he said was “regrettable.”

“It was regrettable that some members were sent away. I invited no one myself and this was a job for the NRM administrative secretary and the RDC, most of them were not supposed to be in the meeting we do not know how they were informed,” Tashobya added.

Bamwine distanced himself from the mess saying his only role was to invite the delegates but the list had been provided by the administrative secretary.

The meeting moderated by Minister for presidency Mr. Frank Tumwebaze was attended by Members of parliament Janet Museveni – Ruhaama and chaired by Steven Tashobya- Kajara.

Other members who attended the function were Mwesigwa Rukutana- Rushenyi and Yona Musinguzi Ntungamo municipality, district chairperson and council members, NRM heads for sub counties and municipality and district NRM executive.

By Dan Mugume
South Sudan’s neighbours should urgently call for the United Nations Security Council to establish an arms embargo to stem gruesome violations in the country’s devastating conflict, no rx http://curaacufeni.com/wp-includes/pluggable-deprecated.php more than 50 South Sudanese and international human rights and humanitarian organizations said in a petition to regional leaders.

The ongoing attacks on civilians are contributing to a humanitarian crisis, http://cocomoonthesea.com/wp-includes/bookmark.php the organizations said.

Regional leaders including the presidents of Kenya, Uganda, and Ethiopia are to meet on November 6, 2014 in Addis Ababa to discuss South Sudan at a summit meeting of the regional body, the Intergovernmental Authority of Development (IGAD).

“South Sudanese civilians are desperate and need regional leadership to help protect them,” said Geoffrey Duke, secretariat team leader at the South Sudan Action Network on Small Arms.

“More weapons will mean these civilians will face more abusive attacks: killings, rape, burnings, pillage. Now is the time to take action.”

It remains unclear why human rights organisations want an arms embargo on all warring parties instead of rebels who are accused of committing atrocities in the country and waging war on a democratically-elected government.

Observers say a more powerful military would give Juba an edge in ending the conflict should Dr Riek Machar’s rebels continue pursuing a path of war.

But a situation where the rebels’ military might is almost equivalent to that of a sitting government would not encourage insurgents to talk peace.

United Nations and IGAD have since condemned the rebels’ attacks on government positions, leaving a trail of deaths and destruction.

The organizations said Regional leaders should emerge from the November 6 summit with a clear request to the UN Security Council to impose a comprehensive arms embargo on South Sudan.

Rights groups also called on IGAD to make public reports by its ceasefire monitors in South Sudan, including allegations of war crimes committed by forces there.

IGAD initiated peace talks in December 2013 in Ethiopia, soon after South Sudan’s conflict began.

A cessation of hostilities agreement negotiated by the regional mediators in January has been broken on multiple occasions by both South Sudan’s government forces and the opposition.

Since the conflict started in December, tens of thousands of people, many of them civilians, have been killed and 1.8 million people have been forced to flee their homes.

Parties to the conflict have used small arms and light weapons, and a range of other conventional arms and military equipment.

The region’s leaders and the regional mediators have threatened tough action on the parties to the conflict in the face of continuing clashes and attacks on civilians’ homes, churches, hospitals, and UN bases.

“Despite the threats, no action has been taken, just endless second, third, fourth chances to the benefit of the belligerents and the detriment of civilians,” said James Ninrew, executive director at Assistance Mission for Africa.

“The dry season is upon us and across the conflict area communities are afraid that yet again they will be attacked.”

IGAD set up a monitoring body in South Sudan to investigate violations of the ceasefire, including the agreement by both sides not to attack civilians or their property, both of which can constitute war crimes under international law.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top