The Ministry of Education and Sports has revealed that despite their earlier call for applications for new teachers, the exercise will be halted due to lack of funds.
Ministry officials led by Minister Janet Museveni made the revelation on Tuesday while appearing before the Parliament committee on Education to give an update on Ministry programs and projects.
Recently the Ministry opened up recruitment 4000 teachers in government aided schools countrywide. It also place adverts in media.
The Ministry Permanent Secretary, Alex Kakooza however, told MPs that this exercise was no longer feasible.
“We know there is a serious need of teachers but we did not get money for grant aiding. Even the adverts we put in the papers that we were going to recruit have been stopped,” he said.
The PS added that the Ministry might also fail to grant aid the 100 schools that were selected across the country.
“The 100 schools we had said we are going to grant aid; it’s most likely that we shall not because we didn’t get the money; we have now got a letter from (Ministry of) Finance telling us not to move on.”
Minister Janet Museveni had earlier told the committee that they are engaged in negotiations with the Ministry of finance to allow them apply for a supplementary budget for the recruitment exercise.
“We have shortages of teachers and instructors; we have been looking into our budget to help us recruit more teachers but we haven’t been able to do that. We are discussing with the Finance Ministry hoping that we shall be able to present a supplementary and we need your support on that,” she said.
The PS thus appealed to the committee members to be supportive once a supplementary budget worth Shs14bn is presented before Parliament for approval.