The Government Chief Whip, side effects Ruth Nankabirwa has said the ICT and National Guidance Minister, medical Frank Tumwebaze is innocent as far as the SIM card registration controversy is concerned.
Addressing Press at office at Parliament on Tuesday, story Nankabirwa said Tumwebaze as the government spokesman simply communicated the Cabinet position and there is no reason to hold him personally responsible.
“Frank has committed no crime. He communicated what Cabinet had resolved and we don’t see a reason why it should be taken personal against him,” Nankabirwa said.
Parliament on Tuesday last week came up with a resolution to extend the SIM card registration by a year to allow millions of Ugandans who missed registration to do so.
On Wednesday Mr. Tumwebaze addressed a press briefing at the Uganda Media Center stressing that the government was not going to further extend the SIM card registration process that expired on May 19th 2017.
On Thursday during a special sitting at Parliament to eulogize the departed former Democratic Party national chairman, Mzee Boniface Byanyima, Speaker Rebecca Kadaga informed the house that Tumwebaze was to be referred to house’s committee of Rules and Discipline for contempt.
The National Resistance Movement Caucus meeting on Monday evening chaired by President Yoweri Museveni extended the registration process by 3 months to August 30 2017.