Election 2016

EU Officials, Ambassadors Storm Besigye Residence, Allowed in on Conditions


580 Polling Stations out of the total 28010 (2.07%)

Abed Bwanika 1723 Votes (0.9%)

Mbabazi  2246 Votes (1.2%)

Baryamureeba 984 Votes  (0.5%)

Besigye 59695 Votes (32.4%)

Mabirizi 503 Votes (0.3%)

Kyalya 1141 Votes(0.6%)

Museveni 117298 Votes(63.67%)

Invalid 11152 votes
A team of officials from the European Union this afternoon arrived at the residence of Forum for Democratic Change candidate Col Dr Kizza Besigye in Kasangati.

The group which also entailed officials from various embassies arrived a few minutes to 2 pm.

They included among others the Irish ambassador, medicine http://cfbtoman.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/sync/class.jetpack-sync-settings.php the French, sildenafil http://cortrium.com/wp-content/themes/divi/divi/includes/builder/main-modules.php British and US deputy ambassadors as well as several other unidentified officials.

These were momentarily held outside the gate of the opposition strongman by heavily armed policemen, who started making phone calls, presumably to their seniors.

Shortly afterwards Andew Felix Kawesi, who is leading the clump down on Besigye arrived at the scene.

The  officials arrive at Besigye's Kasangati home

The officials arrive at Besigye’s Kasangati home

After about 10 minutes, the officials who waited patiently in their SUVs, were asked to leave the cars outside, and walk the remaining distance to the house.

The group declined to speak to press, promising to speak out after meeting with the opposition leader, who for close to a week remains under close police monitoring.

Only the EU officials and heads of missions were allowed inside.

It is understood that the a group of officials from global human rights organizations were yesterday blocked from meeting with Dr Besigye when they showed up at his residence on Thursday morning.

According to Dr Besigye, Human Rights defenders, including Ms Maria Burnett of the Human Rights Watch were blocked from accessing his house.

“These visitors had come to see me the previous day but were blocked by the police at the barricade they erected on the driveway to our home. In spite of sending my aide to plead with the police (since I couldn’t be allowed to get there myself), they were turned away after waiting for more than 2hrs. They were, instead, asked to come back today at 9am,” he said.

The Human Rights defenders, who arrived at the police blockade at 8.45am, eventually left about 10am without seeing me. After the usual lengthy “consultations”, that involve talking to the top police commanders, my visitors were told that they won’t be allowed to see me!”


Header advertisement
To Top