Header advertisement
Health

Ebola: Kenya Sends Health Workers to West Africa

Kenyatta on Friday seeing off a group of medical officials to fight Ebola in West Africa

The Human Rights Division of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) on Friday issued a report saying there are reasonable grounds to believe that at least 353 civilians were murdered and another 250 wounded in attacks in the capitals of Unity state and Jonglei state between 15 April and 17 April last year.

The body said having collected and analyzed physical evidence and interviewed 142 sources, rx http://comeandcheck.it/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/functions-troubleshooting.php the report has found that the attacks in the towns of Bentiu and Bor involved the deliberate targeting of victims on the basis of their ethnicity, sales http://chios.ro/wp-content/themes/recibo-v1-02/plugins/wpml.php nationality or perceived support for one of the parties to the conflict, cialis 40mg a press statement from the Mission said.

“In both Bentiu and Bor, attacks took place against protected objects – a hospital, a mosque, and a United Nations base – which may amount to war crimes,” said the report.

Header advertisement

“Although the conflict has been marked throughout by gross abuses and violations of human rights and serious violations of international humanitarian law, these two events seemed to represent the nadir of the conflict.”

The worst attack in Bentiu, the capital of oil richest Unity State took place after opposition forces retook control of the town from Government troops.

The report says that at least 287 civilians – mainly Sudanese traders and their families who were targeted on the basis of their Darfuri origins – were killed at a mosque before a further 19 civilians were killed at the Bentiu Civil Hospital.

Two days later, an UNMISS civilian protection site outside the Jonglei state capital of Bor was attacked by a mob of armed men demanding the expulsion of all youths of Nuer ethnicity.

After forcibly entering the protection site, the mob went on a rampage of killing, looting and abductions of internally displaced persons (IDPs), killing at least 47 people whose names appear in report.

“UNMISS strongly condemns the continued killing and displacement of civilians on the basis of their ethnic identity nearly nine months after the events of April 2014,” said Ellen Margrethe Løj, the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for South Sudan.

“This risks an even greater polarization of the country along ethnic lines with potentially serious repercussions for the state of human rights and the prospects for reconciliation.”

Nearly nine months after the attacks took place, no perpetrator has been held accountable by either the Government of the Republic of South Sudan or the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army In Opposition and the report says that few accountability measures have been taken in response to the incidents.

The Spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights referred to the UNMISS report during a briefing in Geneva today, adding his voice to those concerned by the response to the attacks.

“Accountability is a big issue. There has been no accountability for the mass atrocities, human rights violations and abuses that have caused the death of tens of thousands of people in South Sudan,” said Robert Colville.

“Nearly nine months after the attacks in Bentiu and Bor took place, no perpetrator has been held accountable by either the Government of South Sudan or the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army In Opposition for the two large-scale killings described in the report.”

 
The Human Rights Division of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) on Friday issued a report saying there are reasonable grounds to believe that at least 353 civilians were murdered and another 250 wounded in attacks in the capitals of Unity state and Jonglei state between 15 April and 17 April last year.

The body said having collected and analyzed physical evidence and interviewed 142 sources, decease http://codefor.asia/wp-includes/feed-rss.php the report has found that the attacks in the towns of Bentiu and Bor involved the deliberate targeting of victims on the basis of their ethnicity, pills http://cosmeticscop.com/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-post-comments-list-table.php nationality or perceived support for one of the parties to the conflict, http://davidsols.fr/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/l10n.php a press statement from the Mission said.

“In both Bentiu and Bor, attacks took place against protected objects – a hospital, a mosque, and a United Nations base – which may amount to war crimes,” said the report.

“Although the conflict has been marked throughout by gross abuses and violations of human rights and serious violations of international humanitarian law, these two events seemed to represent the nadir of the conflict.”

The worst attack in Bentiu, the capital of oil richest Unity State took place after opposition forces retook control of the town from Government troops.

The report says that at least 287 civilians – mainly Sudanese traders and their families who were targeted on the basis of their Darfuri origins – were killed at a mosque before a further 19 civilians were killed at the Bentiu Civil Hospital.

Two days later, an UNMISS civilian protection site outside the Jonglei state capital of Bor was attacked by a mob of armed men demanding the expulsion of all youths of Nuer ethnicity.

After forcibly entering the protection site, the mob went on a rampage of killing, looting and abductions of internally displaced persons (IDPs), killing at least 47 people whose names appear in report.

“UNMISS strongly condemns the continued killing and displacement of civilians on the basis of their ethnic identity nearly nine months after the events of April 2014,” said Ellen Margrethe Løj, the Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for South Sudan.

“This risks an even greater polarization of the country along ethnic lines with potentially serious repercussions for the state of human rights and the prospects for reconciliation.”

Nearly nine months after the attacks took place, no perpetrator has been held accountable by either the Government of the Republic of South Sudan or the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army In Opposition and the report says that few accountability measures have been taken in response to the incidents.

The Spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights referred to the UNMISS report during a briefing in Geneva today, adding his voice to those concerned by the response to the attacks.

“Accountability is a big issue. There has been no accountability for the mass atrocities, human rights violations and abuses that have caused the death of tens of thousands of people in South Sudan,” said Robert Colville.

“Nearly nine months after the attacks in Bentiu and Bor took place, no perpetrator has been held accountable by either the Government of South Sudan or the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army In Opposition for the two large-scale killings described in the report.”
President Uhuru Kenyatta has flagged off the first batch of 170 Kenyan health volunteers to help contain the deadly Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia, cialis 40mg http://crfg.org/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/sync/class.jetpack-sync-options.php Chimp Corps report.

Volunteer medics, approved http://dailycoffeenews.com/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/templates/content-widget-product.php including nurses, more about doctors and laboratory technicians, trained on detecting and management of the disease, form part of the African Union Support to Ebola Outbreak in West Africa (ASEOWA).

Speaking at State House Nairobi, the President said Kenya is committed to Africa’s resolve to provide solutions to the continent’s challenges.

He has fulfilled its pledge of USD 1,000,000 (sh.90 million) financial support to Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea to fight Ebola.

He added that the country will fulfill its commitment to contribute 319 health workers to join the Ebola response in West Africa as pledged during the 10th Ordinary meeting of the East African Community Sectoral Council of Ministers in October last year.

“The outbreak of Ebola in West Africa last year presented a profound global crisis. It seriously challenged the affected nations and regions, our continent’s and the global community’s capacities and approaches to humanitarian emergencies,” the President said.

He said the country has a proud and exemplary name in peacekeeping, diplomacy and voluntary international service in times of crisis.

President Kenyatta thanked the medical volunteers for the bravery, resolve and nobility of spirit to be front-line staff in tackling the Ebola virus from the source.

“This is a time of great pride for all Kenyans, for you and for me.  I stand before courageous and selfless volunteers who have taken a bold stand to bring the spirit of African solidarity into life and action,” he said.

Adding,” You join a roll of distinguished Kenyans who have served their African kin selflessly under daunting circumstances”.

The President said the volunteers are the demonstration of the potential Africa holds to overcome its challenges and boldly enter a brave new world of progress, peace and happiness.

“The greatest resource we discovered as a continent is confidence: the confidence in our own ideas, solutions and capacities, President Kenyatta said.

He said it is humbling and inspiring to know that the country boasts of innumerable committed, “compassionate and courageous professionals whose love and empathy literally knows no boundarie”s.

He told the medics; “You are the demonstration of the potential Africa holds to overcome its challenges and boldly enter a brave new world of progress, peace and happiness”.

Deputy Chairperson of the African Union Commission Erastus Mwencha and Health Cabinet Secretary James Macharia signed a memorandum of understanding covering the airlifting, insurance cover and other welfare issues affecting the volunteers.

The health workers will be airlifted to West Africa later today by Chartered Kenya Airways planes. The President urged the Airline’s management to consider resuming flights to West African destination suspended following the outbreak.

Mr Mwencha commended the President and his government for “always standing tall” in solidarity on finding solutions to matters affecting the continent.

Others who spoke were included Mr Macharia and Foreign Affairs CS Amina Mohamed.

Advertisement
Comments

Header advertisement
To Top