ChimpSport can reliably inform that the impasse between broadcast companies Azam and Supersport has led to the suspension of the topflight national football league with immediate effect.
The second round of UPL was sent to go to match day two today at 4.30pm but an unexpected dispatch from the FSL Chairman Hajji Mukasa Abbas Kaawaase has called off all the games with teams already warming up for battle at match venues.
Three games and an equal number were lined up for Friday and Saturday with coach Abdallah Mubiru’s KCC hosting Simba at Lugogo before Express face Lweza at Wankulukuku the following day. The other two games were expected on Friday see Bul welcoming Soana at Kakindu and Rwenshama entertaining SCVU at Nakivubo. Sadolin Paints facing Bright Stars at Bugembe and Police meeting Entebbe at Kavumba a day later.
On Thursday, topflight clubs plotted to boycott the league complaining that their games should be broadcasted live as agreed on in the contract signed with Azam TV.
After yesterday’s development, the status quo will be maintained up to at least until further notice.
Here is the letter from the FSL body;
RE: SUSPENSION OF THE LEAGUE
Reference is made to one of the resolutions made by the clubs at the clubs emergency meeting held on Thursday 19th February 2015 at Hotel Africana and our letter responding to FUFA Circular No:
1004 dated 17th February 2015.
Azam TV early this month signed a $1.9m (Shs5.4b) three-year deal to broadcast local football in return for naming rights and all the commercial benefits that accrue from that.
Supersport’s partners Uganda Super League Limited (USLL) secured an injunction stopping Fufa from awarding the broadcast rights to their rivals without disposing of an earlier Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with them.
It was resolved that if Azam Pay TV is not allowed to record and/or broadcast league matches for Friday 20th February 2015, then , the clubs shall stop playing the league until further notice.
Today, Azam Pay TV has been stopped from accessing Nakivubo Stadium by the stadium authorities to prepare for the broadcasting of Rwenshama Vs SC Victoria University scheduled for 4:30 PM as per the fixture.
As per the Clubs’ resolution above, the FUFA Super League Board hereby informs all clubs that the league has been suspended until further notice.
Hoping for your maximum cooperation,
HAJJI MUKASA ABBAS KAAWAASE
CHAIRMAN FSL BOARD
CC: FUFA CEO
CC: Arineitwe Simon-GM Azam Uganda
The court’s injunctive orders come days after Fufa wrote to the USL and Sports Minister Charles Bakkabulindi notifying them of their intention to terminate the MoU entered with USL – with SuperSport as broadcast partners – last year.
Before terminating the MoU they had with USL, Fufa reasoned that the former did not fulfill part of their bargain in the MoU when partners SuperSport did not televise first round league games.
On the other side USL accuse Fufa of failing to avail them with all 16 topflight clubs as agreed in the MoU. Only 14 were availed.
Legislator Mohammed Nsereko said since of the clubs have already picked money from Azam they must fight for the rights of Azam as per the contract. “We are together on this; no game is to be played in league if it is not going to be broadcasted as clubs agreed with Azam” said Nsereko.
Fufa lawyer Alex Luganda is expected to pass out an official communication in the next few hours.