BREAKING: BBC Journalists Arrested by Police in Northern Uganda

BBC's Catherine Byaruhanga and her cameraman were arrested on Saturday evening

Maroons Football club have qualified to the round of 32 in the Uganda cup following the 4-1 victory over Big league side Lira united after post match penalties.

The game that was highly entertaining with simultaneous attacks by both sides ended in an even four goal thriller with the hosts resuscitating their hopes with a last minute equalizer.

Maroons Captain Sylvester Okello gave the Luzira side the lead just three minutes after the half hour mark, dosage case rounding off Stephen Okello with his Lira defense before calmly directing the ball to the bottom corner.

Header advertisement

Lira replied six minutes later through former St. Juliana striker Joackins Ojera who headed in Danish Kwizera loose cross from the right to beat Malyamungu.

After the break, action resumed with the same tempo. Ojera nearly doubled his tally after racing first to a 50-50 bouncing ball ahead of Malyamungu.

The youngster did well to go past the keeper but delayed to shoot allowing Maroons defense to back pedal.

Sydney Chika restored Maroons lead with a wonderful stop volley from nearly 40 yards from Okello’s cross.

The hosts piled pressure for an equalizer which yielded with a minute to go Anguyo intercepting a pass destined to Ojera which ended in his own net.


Malyamungu turned hero after blocking the first two penalties and scoring the winner to make it 4-1.
Police on Saturday evening arrested and detained two journalists reporting for the BBC World Service in Northern Uganda.

The Arrested according to preliminary reports are Catherine Byaruhanga, what is ed who reports for the British media house in Uganda, generic as well as well as Kelvin Brown who was working the video camera for her.

Kelvin is BBC’s video journalist and photographer covering Africa and the Middle East.

The two were reportedly picked up and detained after they were found filming outside Abim Hospital in Abim district in Northern Uganda.

This is the same dilapidated hospital that was visited by Forum for Democratic Change Presidential Candidate Col Dr Kizza Besigye weeks ago, compelling government to ban visits by politicians and media coverage of health facilities in the country during the election season.

After a few hours of detention, the journalists were unconditionally set free. Kelvin said their release was possibly because of the the pressure that was staring to build up especially in social media.

He tweeted upon being released, “Myself and @ (Catherine) just been freed by police in Uganda after we were arrested for filming a hospital from a public road.”


Header advertisement
To Top