AUPL: Police Maintain Title Chase With SCVU Win

Police FC in previous match

Three more people suspected to have masterminded the July 2010 Bomb attacks where over 70  Ugandans died at Kyadondo Rugby ground and Ethiopian Village restaurant Kabalagala yesterday defended themselves in court, drug distancing themselves from the deadly act.

Like the first batch of defendants, what is ed these too refuted connections with the Somali based terror group Al Shabaab.

First on the stand was Muzafalu Luyima, a 45 year old businessman who owns an electronics shop at Pioneer Mall in Kampala.

He is charged with two offences related to aiding and abetting terrorism in which prosecution alleges that he tried to hide Idris Nsubuga one of the suspects he knew was being hunted over terrorism.

In his defense, Luyima informed court that he had no hand in the plan to help Nsubuga to escape.

“My lord I was approached by a number of people in Luzira prison including (prosecution) counsel Onyango Oroli, who informed me that if I accepted that I committed the alleged offences, I would be set free since the offences carried a three year jail term on conviction, which I had completed on remand,” he said.

Luyima added that he was also approached by his father to plead guilty of the offences but he remained persistent.

The second defendant Muhammad Hamdee, a 42 year old Kenyan national also denied the three charges against him which include belonging to a terrorist group, murder and attempted murder.

“When the 2010 July bombings happened, I was working with the Uganda Muslim Human
Rights Forum. Our organization together with other Muslim organizations issued a joint statement condemning the attacks,” he said. “I myself had never been to Uganda before. The charges against me were only meant to tarnish my name.”

Muhammad also dismissed the evidence by one of the state witnesses, a police officer that he tried to resist arrest.

“I was arrested at 10.30pm as I was driving back home with my family, after being stopped by a group of about twenty armed police officers who never introduced themselves but simply handcuffed me and forced me in a waiting car.  I couldn’t have resisted an arrest by 20 armed men.”

The last defendant of the day was 45 year old Abubaker Batemyeto a resident of Kiwatule central zone in Wakiso district.

In his defense, Batemyeto who broke down during the session described his arrest as part of a plan by his Kenyan business rivals to put him down, noting that he had never killed a single person in his life.

“I went to Mombasa in 1998, and worked as a car repairer. I had a very big number of customers especially Ugandans which I believe my Kenyan counterparts were not happy about.”

Batemyeto further denied the name Abdulla Wire, which prosecution claimed was his alias during the mission execution, which was to detonate the explosives.

He also told court that his house in Kiwatule was demolished by his angry neighbors after the murder of state Prosecutor Joan Kagezi.

The High court Judge Justice Owiinyi Dolo adjourned this case to Monday 21 for further hearing.
A priceless second half goal by Erias Lubambula at Nambole stadium against SC Victoria University was all that Police Football Club needed to close in on second placed Vipers SC.

The Sam Timbe coached side has now accumulated 24 points, recipe same as the defending champions Vipers though with a game more (13).

The script is very different for the cash-strapped SC Victoria side who stand at 13 points, visit web just two adrift the red line.

Saturday fixture 
The league games continue on Saturday with two fixtures; Lweza fc will host relegation threatened Maroons Fc at Wankulukuku while URA FC entertain Bright stars in Lugazi.


Header advertisement
To Top