AFCON 2017: Uganda Earns Point Against Mali

African cup of Nations 2017
Uganda 1-1 Mali

Uganda ended its campaign at the 2017 African cup of Nations with at least a point after drawing against Mali in their final group D game.

Farouk Miya gave Uganda the lead midway through the second half but Yves Bissouma levelled matters moments later in the game played on Wednesday at Stade de Oyem.

There was a heavy downpour moments before the game and the playing surface was water logged affecting the flow of the game.

Mali came into the game with slight hopes of qualifying to the quarterfinals needing a must win against Uganda and hope Egypt lose to Ghana but their dreams were shuttered after failing to negotiate past Uganda while Egypt won 1-0 on the other hand.

Mali started the better side attempting to get an early lead and Moussa Marega almost put the Eagles but his effort in the 8th minute hit the side of the net.

Uganda had a chance to break the deadlock in the 20th minute when Miya released Luwagga Kizito on the right but the latter’s effort was denied after the ball got stuck in a puddle.

Mali skipper Yacouba Sylla had his powerful shot sail above the goal four minutes later after a lay up pass from Bissouma and the two sides went for the mandatory break goalless.

Tonny Mawejje who had replaced Moses Oloya had a goal disallowed in the 64th minute with the assistant referee calling offside on Luwagga Kizito.

However, order five minutes later, Miya Farouk broke the deadlock sending a powerful shot into the top right corner and Mali’s goalkeeper Oumar Sissoko had no chance to save.

The joy for Uganda cranes was short lived with Mali levelling matters in the 72nd minute through Yves Bissouma’s free kick.

Egypt advanced as group D leaders with 7 points after Mohammad Salah’s goal earned victory for Hector Cupper’s side. Ghana settled for second spot on 6 points while Mali and Uganda dropped out with 2 points and one point respectively.


Header advertisement
To Top