Health

89% Ugandans Have Never Tested for Cancer – GCIC Poll

Ugandan youths march to mark World Cancer Day

A new social media poll by the Government Citizen Interaction Centre (GCIC) has indicated that only 11 percent of Ugandans have taken the initiative to go for cancer screening, site http://coloradofinearts.org/wp-admin/includes/upgrade.php leaving the 89 percent untested.

Of the 89 percent, only 19 percent have thought about taking the test while 70 percent have never thought about taking the test.

According to statistics from the Ministry of Health, 21,300 Ugandans die from Cancer every year and the risk of getting cancer before the age of 75 lies at 17.8 percent.

The common cancers in Uganda are Cervical Cancer, Prostate cancer, Breast Cancer, Kaposis sarcoma, Burkitt’s lymphoma, lung cancer, skin cancer, Cancer of the bone, cancer of the eye, Cancer of the colon, and cancer of the blood.

Breast cancer and cervical cancer are common among women while prostate cancer and Kaposi Sarcoma common in men.

Cancer currently accounts for up to 68 percent of deaths recorded globally.

According to Diana Atwine, the Permanent Secretary for the Ministry of Finance, early detection of cancer is the best remedy to the deadly disease as well as immunization and vaccination for some of the immunisable cancers.

“Cancer treatment is expensive. Let’s treat it by early detection and screening,” she said.

Cervical cancer and cancer of the liver can be prevented by immunization and Human Papilloma Virus, vaccination against cervical cancer is available across the country.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top