medicine http://deltadiner.com/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/walkers/class-product-cat-list-walker.php geneva;”>In a petition to Parliament, order http://celebritydachshund.com/wp-admin/includes/export.php Lukwago says Musisi passes off as a typical politician hence overstepping her mandate and turning herself into an adversary of the political leaders under whom she is supposed to serve and uses any opportunity to malign them using the facilities of the Authority, buy http://crossfit908.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/contact-form-functions.php a trait she passed on to majority of public service staff of KCCA.
“The Executive Director has obdurately refused to give accountability to the Authority for the colossal sums of money spent on different questionable projects since she took office,” says Lukwago.
He further accuses the KCCA iron lady of “vehemently frustrating” all efforts by the authority to play its oversight role on the functioning of the directorates of the Authority.
“The Executive Director obstinately refused to account for Shs58bn which she found on the frozen accounts of the defunct KCC Division accounts,” alleges Lukwago.
The two officials’ squabbles have for a very long time paralyzed operations of the authority thus affecting delivery of quality services to Kampala dwellers.
The petition claims to be representing the frustrations of Lukwago, Mayors of Division Urban Councils and Authority Councillors who are now seeking for the intervention of Parliament to probe or cause a probe into matters pertaining to the mismanagement of KCCA.
Presented by MPs Betty Bakireke Nambooze Betty and Moses Kasibante, the petition notes that Musisi is the Accounting Officer of KCCA and her functions and powers are defined under Section 19 of the Act.
“She is a Public Servant who is supposed to implement the decisions of the Authority whose composition is properly defined under Section 6 of the KCCA Act 2010.”
However, Lukwago and his colleagues allege, despite the above clear provisions of the law, Musisi has turned herself into the “institution of KCCA” to the extent that she doesn’t attend most of the Authority meetings in her capacity as advisor and Clerk to the Authority and “purports to disallow some Authority meetings, implements and enforces individual decisions, defies/neglects/ignores decisions of the Authority etc.”
Musisi was not readily available for comment.
Below is the petition in full.
The Executive Director
THE REPUBLIC OF UGANDA
THE PARLIAMENT OF UGANDA
PETITION BY THE LORD MAYOR OF KAMPALA CAPITAL CITY AUTHORITY, MAYORS OF DIVISION URBAN COUNCILS AND AUTHORITY COUNCILLORS SEEKING FOR THE INTERVENTION OF PARLIAMENT TO PROBE OR CAUSE A PROBE INTO MATTERS PERTAINING TO THE MISMANAGEMENT OF KCCA PRESENTED BY BAKIREKE NAMBOOZE BETTY (MP) MUKONO MUNICIPALITY & KASIBANTE MOSES , MP LUBAGA NORTH.
The humble Petitioners are the Lord Mayor of KCCA, Division Mayors and Authority Councilors represented by BAKIREKE NAMBOOZE BETTY, MP MUKONO MUNICIPALITY AND KASIBANTE MOSES, M.P LUBAGA NORTH.
1. Rt. Honourable Speaker your humble petitioners are entreating Parliament to set up a select committee on the Management of KCCA after failing to get redress from the other relevant organs including Courts of Law, the various Ministers who have held the portfolio of Minister for Kampala and the Parliamentary Committee on Presidential Affairs who in the eyes of your humble petitioners have abdicated on their role. (See copies attached and Marked A).
2. The subject matter of this petition is the deliberate misinterpretation, abuse and refusal to adhere to the provisions of the Kampala Capital City Act 2010 by the Executive Director resulting into maladministration, poor service delivery and anarchy in the Capital City.
3. Rt. Hon Speaker, your humble petitioners are the legitimately elected leaders of KCCA and are charged with the duty of governing Kampala as provided for under Sections 5, 6 & 7 for the Lord Mayor and his Councilors and Sections 27, 28 & 29 for Division Mayors and their Councilors.
4. Madam Speaker, the Executive Director is the Accounting Officer of KCCA and her functions and powers are defined under Section 19 of the Act.
She is a Public Servant who is supposed to implement the decisions of the Authority whose composition is properly defined under Section 6 of the KCCA Act 2010.
5. Rt. Hon Speaker, despite the above clear provisions of the law, Jennifer Musisi Ssemakula, the Executive Director has turned herself into the institution of KCCA to the extent that she doesn’t attend most of the Authority meetings in her capacity as advisor and Clerk to the Authority, purports to disallow some Authority meetings, implements and enforces individual decisions, defies/neglects/ignores decisions of the Authority etc.
6. The Executive Director passes off as a typical politician hence overstepping her mandate and turning herself into an adversary of the political leaders under whom she is supposed to serve and uses any opportunity to malign them using the facilities of the Authority, a trait she passed on to majority of public service staff of KCCA.
IN PARTICULAR BUT WITHOUT PREJUDICE TO THE ABOVE, your humble petitioners wish to request for an investigation into the following;
1. The Executive Director has obdurately refused to give accountability to the Authority for the colossal sums of money spent on different questionable projects since she took office. She has also vehemently frustrated all efforts by the authority to play its oversight role on the functioning of the directorates of the Authority.
2. Mismanagement of revenue by failing to establish strong and coherent systems that can ensure efficient tax collection and administration hence failure by KCCA to realize its full revenue potential with the first quarterly report indicating less than 40% revenue realization. (See copies attached and Marked A1 & A2)
3. The Executive Director obstinately refused to account for UGX58bn which she found on the frozen accounts of the defunct KCC Division accounts.
4. The Executive Director went to the extent of withdrawing UGX500 million for a doubtful motive that has to date never been established from one of the frozen accounts belonging to Kawempe Division.
5. 16.5bn Job Stimulus Package has been mismanaged which resulted into a wave of demonstrations across the City by aggrieved youths and street vendors among others who should have been beneficiaries of the project. (See copies attached and Marked A2 A).
6. Rt. Hon Speaker, the Executive Director unilaterally decided to fix for herself exorbitant salary of UGX 42.3 million for salary and other hefty allowances. She also each of the 10 Directors a salary of UGX 22 million, well beyond the Public Service Scale. (See copies attached and Marked A3 & A3 (A)).
7. The endemic problem of floods in Kampala persists despite allocating funds for the Drainage Master plan of Kampala in the 2011/12 FY. The funds were meant for fixing 8 out of 15 drainage black spots that were very critical for the fight against floods in the City.
The residents of the city continue to suffer as a result of administrative and planning flaws which are made worse by lack of accountability. (See copies attached and Marked A2 A).
8. Despite the fact that UGX17bn was earmarked for solid waste management in the financial year 2011/12, no single refuse truck was purchased and the few existing ones suffer intermittent breakdown for want of fuel and minor repairs.
9. Whereas KCCA spent over UGX45bn on road construction in the financial year 2011/12, only sections of roads in the Central Business District were resealed and a number of them have developed fresh potholes.
10. Rt.Hon. Speaker, there have been irregular appointments of some people that do not have the requisite qualifications to handle affairs of the city.
Notable among these are Nalongo Bifirimbi, Jacob Lukaambuzi a self avowed primary seven dropout who is a Director of Intelligence as well as operations of sorts, and Naggayi Sanuula whose education level is below Primary Five holds a big portfolio of the supervisor of the beautification team.
These and others draw hefty salaries and allowances plus being chauffeured around in official double cabin vehicles at the expense of Kampala tax payers. (See copies attached and Marked A4).
11. The Executive Director has reached the level of abusing office by assigning this clique roles that involve representing the Authority at International Forums i.e. NaggayiSanuula led a delegation to Rwanda purportedly to share experiences with leaders of Kigali on city beautification.
12. Madam Speaker, the Executive Director has turned KCCA into a brutal force of oppression where she has gone to the extent of constituting militias under Jacob Lukaambuzi and Godwin Katugume, complete with safe houses at Plot 1 Ssezibwa Road and the Mabua House, the official residence of the Lord Mayor.
These are passing off as law enforcement officers and are recruited under unclear circumstances. (See copies attached and Marked A4).
13. The ED in collusion with former Minister for Kampala Muruli Mukasa frustrated all efforts to interpret the law on Kampala to the extent of blocking a workshop at Imperial Royale for which funds had even been earmarked.
Notable Law Scholars and experts on Constitutional Law like Prof. Kanyeihamba, Mr. Sebugenyi James the President Uganda Law Society and Mr. Ladislus Rwakafuuzi an expert in Constitutional Law, among others had agreed to guide the authority in interpreting the law. (See copies attached and Marked A5, A6 ,A7, A8 & A9).
14. The Executive Director manages the Authority like a sole proprietorship,monopolizing planning, policy formulation, budgeting, staffing and all forms of decisions, to the extent that she has colluded with the Minister to appoint herself as the Chairperson of the Metropolitan Physical Planning Authority contrary to the express provisions of S.21 of the KCCA Act. (See copies attached and Marked A10, A11, A12 & A13).
15. The Executive Director has arrogated herself the power and functions of the Contracts Committee. Section 61 of the KCCA Act 2010 establishes a Capital City Contracts Committee. She has assumed the role of the Contracts Committee as specified in Section 62.
16. The Executive Director in collusion with the Minister for KCCA has deliberately frustrated the efforts of Authority to establish the Public Accounts Committee despite the fact that the Lord Mayor nominated names of five Certified Public Accountants yet they were approved by the Authority as required by the law. (See copies attached and Marked A14)
17. A large part of Kampala Capital City suffers with darkness despite UGX5.bn allocated for street lighting. In addition the resolution was to have solar power to save energy but the few lights in the City are thermal powered.
18. UGX2.4bn was spent on the management of the landfill yet the condition at Kiteezi landfill is appalling which has resulted into riots and demonstrations by the residents in the neighborhood.
19. The whereabouts of the five (5) Ambulances budgeted for under the 2011/12 FY and the renovation of the KCCA Mortuary is still a mystery.
20. KCCA funds meant to subsidize health services under KCCA Healthcare Grant went to private profit making clinics like Hope Clinic, Kairos Medical Centre, Joy Medical Centre, Virgo Clinic etc. These funds are meant for not for profit clinics which subsidise health services to the poor and offer immunization services to the public.
DESECRATION OF KAMPALA
Madam Speaker, great cities are built on history and heritage. However, Jennifer Musisi’s administration has violated the face of Kampala by vandalizing age old monuments of the City like the Queen’s Clock Tower at Queensway.
Monuments that have no symbolic value have been introduced in the city such as Warid Towers at Kibuye Roundabout and at the Jinja Road Wampeewo Junction and some existing ones renamed or new ones erected and arbitrarily named without an Authority Minute. Public Private Partnerships which are not sanctioned by the Authority have been introduced in the City.
The Lord Mayor’s Gardens and KCCA offices are supposed to be public places but are now manned by armed people who subject members of the public to inhuman and degrading treatment.
1. Rt. Hon Speaker, the Executive Director has been hostile towards major events in the City and has disallowed donations provided for in the budget for such ceremonies as those of the Kingdoms of Buganda, Tooro, Religious Institutions etc. despite these institutions being some of the biggest stakeholders in Kampala. (See copies attached and Marked A15 & A15A).
2. Under the pretext of implementing the Kampala Institutional and Infrastructure Development project – KIIDP initially a program of the defunct KCC, the Executive Director is singlehandedly seeking determine the Vision, Mission and Core Values of the Authority and dropping the Uganda Capital City Logo/Emblem, Colours and most probably the name with the intention to “give KCCA a new face”. Madam Speaker, KCCA is Uganda’s Capital city whose identity cannot be tampered with without involving the Parliament of Uganda. (See copies attached and Marked A16).
The Constitution of Uganda provides in Article 5 (4) that;
Kampala located in Buganda shall be the Capital City for Uganda and shall be administered by the Central Government.
Further the Constitution adds in Article 5 (6) that;
Parliament shall by law, make provision for the administration and development of Kampala as the Capital City.
In exercise of the above Constitutional provisions, Parliament enacted the Kampala Capital City Act 2010 which provides in Section 5 (3) that;
The Authority is the governing body of the Capital City and shall administer the Capital City on behalf of the central government subject to this Act.
And Section 6 defines the Composition of the Authority as being the Lord Mayor, Deputy Lord Mayor and the various Councilors. In addition, Section 7 (1) (a) prescribes as one of the Functions of the Authority, the initiation and formulation of policy.
Rt. Hon. Speaker, it is our humble opinion that the Executive Director and any team even under he disguise of implementing the KIIDP program cannot tamper with the face of a Capital City. We also contend that this is a policy matter which if necessary the Authority would undertake in consultation with other stakeholders including Cabinet and Parliament. And in any case KCCA is only a Steward of the Capital City of Uganda which they govern on behalf of the Central Government.
WHEREFORE your humble petitioners pray that;
1. A Select Committee of this August House be established to probe into these matters with a view of finding an ever lasting solution to the problems of Kampala and bringing culprits to book.
2. Parliament orders for a stay of the implementation of all matters of policy that have not been passed by the Executive Director including the “Re-branding of Kampala Capital City”.
3. Parliament prescribes any other remedies as it may deem fit.
We do so pray.