medical http://cgdt.org.br/plugins/system/jat3/core/libs/html_parser.php geneva; color: #222222; font-size: small;”>The renewed fighting which broke out on Thursday morning near Goma, page the provincial town of Goma, followed a three-month ceasefire.
Rwanda’s Foreign Minister and Government Spokesperson Louise Mushikiwabo expressed concern that the new fighting will undermine the ongoing ICGLR peace process:
“The resumption of fighting between FARDC and M23 violates directives agreed by the 11 member states of the ICGLR who are working to restore much needed peace in the Eastern DRC,” said Mushikiwabo.
At least 10 people have been confirmed dead in the clashes and thousands of Congolese refugees are fleeing to Rwanda.
“This violence close to our border has direct repercussions on us – we have already seen civilians injured today from stray bullets on Rwandan territory as well as renewed influx of Congolese refugees. We do not want any further casualties,” said Mushikiwabo.
She further said the violent activities of the FARDC, M23 and other armed groups in DRC must stop because they continue to jeopardise ongoing regional efforts to bring about lasting peace and security in Eastern DRC.
“We look forward to the findings of the ICGLR Joint Verification Mechanism that is already on the ground and Joint Intelligence Fusion Centre on this situation and hope that this will facilitate immediate containment,” said the Minister.
The expanded Joint Verification Mechanism was previously a bilateral arrangement between Rwanda and DRC designed to verify allegations against either side that was enlarged in September to include representatives from all the ICGLR member states.