Col Besigye: I Will Capture Constitutional Square On Independence Day


Header advertisement

Addressing the media at his residence in Kasangati, Wakiso district, on Saturday Besigye condemned the police brutality while handling what he termed as “legal and peaceful protests” in Kampala.

The opposition leader said police are “dreaming” if they think he could be stopped from leading his supporters in protests aimed at ousting President Yoweri Museveni from power.

“We shall not relent until this government falls,” vowed Besigye, signaling a possible continuation of demonstrations that early this week paralysed business and brought traffic to a halt in Kampala.

“The police have been contradicting themselves on putting a cordon on my house. I have broken through it several times and I will continue doing that,” he said.

“Let Omara (Kampala North Police Commander) and others be informed that I will be at Kampala Constitutional Square on Independence Day,” said Besigye.

“Police cannot handle. They will see me there.”

There was drama on Thursday when Besigye beat a 24-hour surveillance by security agencies led by police at his Kasangati home only to appear in downtown Kampala, a situation that embarrassed the nation’s intelligence services.

Besigye was later arrested and detained at Kampala Central Police Station. He was released later in the evening.

The FDC ironman today rubbished claims by government that he was bent on causing anarchy at a time when the country is celebrating its 50th Independence anniversary, saying his political activities “coincided” with the festivities.

Besigye reiterated that even after the Independence jubilations “our activities will have to go on and no one will stop them.”

He also condemned the countrywide arrests of senior opposition activists, saying that’s “a symbol of a collapsing government.”

Police have since said they would not allow any political activities till the end of Golden Jubilee Independence celebrations due October 9 at Kololo Ceremonial grounds.

The Military Police on Friday took over city security ahead of the function.


Header advertisement
To Top