Crime & Investigation

Ugandan Teen Stabbed To Death In London

approved geneva;”>The parents of the sixth – and youngest – teenager murdered on London’s streets this year today led tributes to their “angel”.

Header advertisement

The UK London Evening Standard newspaper reports that Kevin, whose name was listed on the missing persons’ register following his disappearance from his South Norwood home in July, was today described as a kind, funny and quiet boy with an unforgettable smile.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Amb. James Mugume, was not readily available for comment.

Kevin was on the route 202 bus through Lee Green towards Charlton when an argument is believed to have broken out.

Witnesses called 999 when he was seen staggering in the street next to Sainsbury’s in Burnt Ash Road, Lee, at about 9.45pm on Saturday.

Paramedics performed emergency surgery at the roadside before taking him to a south London hospital where he died.

The incident follows the stabbing of a son to Rwanda Senate president Dr Jean Damascene Ntawukuriryayo in Brussels late last month as he was in transit back to school in the US.

Roger Ntawukuriryayo, a university student, left Rwanda after a two month holiday before making a stopover in Brussels to pick some documents that he needed, according to his family.

Media reports indicates that Roger, in his early 20s, was ambushed by a gang of about eight black men, in the company of two Rwandans and one Congolese friend.

He was stabbed in the abdomen and later rushed to a hospital where he was admitted in the intensive care unit.


Meanwhile, family and school friends from Crown Woods College in Eltham created a shrine of flowers, cards, pictures and candles at the spot where Kevin fell.

His mother wrote: “Kevin. You are an angel. Rest in peace, love Mama.”

A friend called Jesse wrote: “Never be forgotten. You was always nice to everyone. To good for this Earth. Heaven needed another angel and you are perfect for the job.”

Another friend, Ria, wrote: “Why you? The nicest boy ever. RIP.”


Responding to the messages of love, his father added a hand-written message reading: “Thankyou all for va luv 4 Kevin, Papa.”

Around 30 youngsters gathered as they cried and hugged one another at the makeshift shrine.

“He always had a grin on his face and was always trying to make everyone laugh,” said a friend who declined to be named.

“He had a lot of friends. He was never in trouble, he wasn’t a bad kid. He didn’t deserve this.”

Hundreds of school friends from his primary school, Eltham Green, posted tributes on a Facebook page set up in Kevin’s memory.

One mother, Stacey Palmer, wrote: “Such sad news to wake up to this morning. You were a good friend to my eldest and I remember your cheeky smile from primary school. You are safe where no one can hurt you anymore.”

Kevin was knifed just a few hundred yards away from the bakery where a 16-year-old altar boy, Jimmy Mizen, was murdered four years ago.

Jimmy’s dad Barry Mizen offered his sympathy to Kevin’s family, and said his death would only make him more determined than ever in his family’s efforts to deal with the root causes of teenage murders.

He said the number of teenagers killed in the capital had fallen since his son was killed, but added: “What hasn’t changed is the attitude which is still prevalent, where you get to a stage where it’s quite okay to actually kill somebody.”

Appealing for witnesses to come forward, he said: “We need to stand together and say “This isn’t good enough, we don’t want to live in a society where people kill each other – we don’t want to live in communities which are blighted by violence.”

A Scotland Yard spokesman said police were studying CCTV footage from the bus to see if Kevin was attacked while he was still on board or as he stepped off.


A second bus stop, a mile away from the scene of the stabbing, was sealed off and was being checked for fingerprints while a separate team lifted manhole covers and searched a river in a hunt for a weapon.

The spokesman said: “Officers are trying to establish if there was some sort of altercation on board the bus which led to the incident.”

Three teenagers were arrested on suspicion of murder and were questioned at a south London police station on Sunday.

The number of teenage killings in the capital has fallen significantly in recent years.

The toll reached a record 29 in 2008. It fell to 15 the following year before rising again to 19 in 2010 and then falling to 15 again last year.

So far in 2012, four teenagers have been stabbed to death, one has suffered fatal head injuries and another was strangled.

Header advertisement

Header advertisement
To Top