Football

Uganda Cranes Were Screened For Ebola In Zambia

CRANES_LEAVE_599925598

Header advertisement

information pills http://crossfit908.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/controller.php geneva;”>Times of Zambia reports that the country’s Ministry of Health screened a 60-man Ugandan contingent that included soccer team players, illness officials and fans upon arrival from Kampala ahead of the African Cup match against Zambia.

Uganda lost the Saturday match to Zambia which scored one goal.

“The contingent that arrived around 09:00 hours aboard a chartered plane Air Uganda were met by an alert team of local medical experts led by Ndola Health Management Team (NDHMT) principal clinical officer Misheck Mutale, who examined the Ugandans for the basic symptoms of Ebola at the arrival hall,” the newspaper reported.

Mutale, who was found screening the contingent at the airport, said the move was aimed at preventing the disease from penetrating Zambia.

“We are screening them for the basic symptoms of Ebola such as vomiting, sore throats, fever and chills,” he said.

He said the medical experts were also checking if any of the people that arrived had travelled outside Kampala in the last seven days.

Mutale said if any of the travelling team had been found with the symptoms of the deadly disease they could have been quarantined at a centre that had been secured for such ailments.

“We are alert as a Ministry and if we found one with such symptoms they could have been quarantined, the idea is to prevent Ebola from entering and spreading into Zambia,” he said.

The Football Association of Malawi on August 9 cancelled a friendly match with the Uganda Cranes that was slated for August 15 at Kamuzu Banda stadium.

Chimpreports reported then that FAM Secretary General Suzgo Nyirenda said the cancellation of the game had been compelled by advice from the Malawi government following ‘the escalation of the deadly Ebola disease’ in Uganda.

The government of Malawi further advised their FA to identify another team which is ‘not a health risk’ to the people of Malawi.

The World Health Organisation last week said Ebola has been controlled despite killing 17 people.

“There have been no new confirmed cases of Ebola haemorrhagic fever reported in Kibaale district, Uganda, since August 3, 2012, indicating that the outbreak is coming to an end,” the WHO said in a statement.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top