this geneva;”>“Opondo is making a comeback to Citizen TV and his colleagues are in the process of organizing a bash for him. This is all about money; he knows how to follow the money, treat ” a source explained.
He is expected to team up with the peerless happy-go-lucky Faridah Karoney, the Royal Media Services editorial director, in rolling out a plan to cover the March 2013 general elections when Prime Minister Raila Odinga and several other politicians are expected to vie for presidency.
Opondo’s return comes at a time when the RMS has lost Willice Raburu, Sylvia Chebet and Hussein Mohamed – who have positively responded to a call from NTV’s Managing Editor Linus Kaikai – who is also building an award-winning election team.
Kaikai has also grabbed Mohamed Ali from KTN, and Maurice Mugisha from NTV Uganda.
Mao has warned the NRM party to withdraw their candidate from the poll to avoid the embarrassment that will result from losing the elections.
“I can assure you I will resign if Nsumba takes Bukoto South,” he threatened.
He expressed optimism that the people of Bukoto South are interested in a candidate who will be able to fight corruption in the country other than Nsambu who is still under investigations for the embezzlement of the National Identity Cards project funds.
Mao criticized Nsambu for openly ridiculing the Kabaka of Buganda and falling short of apologizing for masterminding the closure of CBS radio station.
However, President Yoweri Museveni on Sunday clarified that Nsubuga neither abused Kabaka Ronald Mutebi nor engineered the closure of the Kingdom-owned radio station.
Museveni said the radio was shut down in 2009 for inciting violence that culminated into the deadly Kayunga riots.
Nevertheless, Mao says the president should stop calling the DP flag-bearer a “Mengo candidate”, insisting Nsubuga “just happens to be a subject of the Kabaka.”
He added: “Museveni should know that it’s DP that stamped Nsubaga’s nomination letters not the Katikiro of Buganda.”
Mao said now is the time to reveal all the broken promises that Museveni has made to Buganda kingdom.
Briefing press on Tuesday in Kampala, Mao continued to caution Museveni to stop encroaching on the tax payer’s money which he uses to fund campaigns for his corrupt party members.
“Every time Museveni goes out for a campaign, at least Shs300m is spent on the convoy. The president should be transparent and inform the public of where all that money is got,” he alleged.
Mao called for vigilance among voters to guard against the rigging.
In a related development, sources told Chimpreorts.com that DP has created a wing of youthful vigilantes to guard Nsubuga’s votes, a move that has sparked fears of possible bloodshed in Bukoto.
Police last week deployed at least 1,500 cops to maintain law and order.