News

Al-Shabaab Blamed For Nairobi Bomb Attacks

cure http://crossfitabf.com/wp-includes/ms-deprecated.php geneva; font-size: small;”>”The death toll is now six, http://chuntaritos.com/wp-content/plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/aioseop_performance.php and we have 63 people undergoing treatment at the Kenyatta National Hospital, http://crosscourtathletics.org/wp-includes/update.php 11 of them were seriously injured,” he told reporters. The earlier toll was five dead and around 60 injured.

Kenyan police also condemned the Islamic insurgents and reiterated that the war against terrorism would not be derailed.

“This is a cowardly act by al-Shabaab elements,” police spokesman Charles Owino told reporters at the Machakos country bus station, the site of the attack.

“But we will not relent in the war. We will get them and we will continue with the war.” Kenya Defence Forces are in Somalia waging war against the al-Shabaab.

A spokesman at the city’s main hospital, Kenyatta National Hospital, said at least seven other people were in critical condition following the attack, in which witnesses reported seeing grenades thrown from a moving vehicle.

Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka, while visiting survivors at the hospital, called for calm and reiterated that the al-Shaabab militia would be dealt with. “We urge for calm and we will definitely win the war against terrorism,” he said.

This is the deadliest attack in Nairobi since the devastating August 1998 Al-Qaeda bomb attack on the US embassy that killed 213 people and injured 5,000.

Four feared dead in Nairobi explosion

Initial reports indicated that three people were killed and over 20 injured but later on Saturday, two others succumbed to their injuries in hospital and the number of those injured confirmed as 59.

A senior police official who did not want to be named told AFP it was believed several grenades had been thrown towards the bus station.

Witness Charles Njenga told AFP: “I just saw a vehicle pass and then someone just threw things that exploded. Many people have been injured.”

“I survived because I was in a bus that people were still boarding,” he added. Other witnesses spoke of three or four grenades having been thrown in and around the bus station from a moving vehicle.

Traces of blood were still visible at the bus station, where around 10 buses were parked, and ambulances ferrying the wounded to hospital. Others, less seriously injured, were being treated on the spot.

About 500 metres from the bus station, the body of one of the victims, a young man, lay on the ground. “I came to get petrol when I saw a man who was running collapse on the ground,” said Reuben Otela, a motorcyclist.

“When I got closer, I saw that he was covered in blood,” he added.


Header advertisement
Comments

Header advertisement
To Top