more about http://colourtherapy.com.au/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/lib/tribe-app-shop.class.php geneva;”>Police Quiz Tycoon Over Passports
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) interrogated a city businessman on Wednesday for several hours for being in possession of multiple Ugandan passports.
Harrison Busingye, the managing director Hydra Homes was summoned to the SIU headquarters in Kireka after it emerged that he was in possession of multiple passports.
The SIU commandant Commissioner Moses Binoga told New Vision that Busingye was interrogated. “It is true we received general complaints that Busingye had many passports and our role was to find out why. We called him and quizzed him for some hours,” said Binoga.
SIU investigates serious cases, especially those which the state has interests in. According to the General Enquiry File (GEF) charge sheet, Busingye was summoned for alleged forgery.
“We discovered that he has many passports whose leafs were used up since he travels a lot. He was subsequently issued with new passports with fresh leaves and the old ones cancelled,” explained Binoga.
SIU officials also retained five of Busingye’s passports.
Museveni Probes Otafiire Over Oil Bribe Documents
President Museveni says intelligence reports say Gen. Otafiire had a hand in the oil papers.
According to the source, besides claims of Gen. Otafiire having a hand in the oil bribe documents, the CEC meeting was heated after Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi and Speaker Rebecca Kadaga faced off over the October stormy oil debate. The President promised to probe the cause of bad blood between the two politicians, Daily Monitor reports.
President Museveni has told members of NRM’s Central Executive Committee (CEC) that he is investigating Justice Minister Kahinda Otafiire after receiving intelligence briefing that the outspoken minister is the brain behind the leaked oil bribery documents that were the centre of a parliamentary debate in October last year.
The documents, which were tabled by Mr Gerald Karuhanga, the Western Youth MP, accused Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi and ministers Sam Kutesa (foreign affairs) and Hilary Onek (internal affairs) of taking bribes to influence award of oil deals. The ministers have insisted they are innocent although Parliament resolved that they step aside as the validity of the documents is investigated.
A committee headed by Bungokho South MP Michael Werikhe is conducting the investigation although court recently asked it to stay the probe.
But in what appears a new twist to developments, Daily Monitor has learnt that President Museveni on Monday told CEC at State House Entebbe that he had received intelligence reports that Maj. Gen. Otafiire hatched the oil bribery plan to disorganise perceived detractors in government.
A source that attended the meeting but asked to stay anonymous because proceedings were confidential, told Daily Monitor yesterday: “The President said the information in the file submitted to him by intelligence suggests that Gen. Otafiire could have had a hand in the oil saga and fake oil documents. He promised to investigate the matter in his own capacity before briefing CEC again.”
Police Issue New Terror Threat
The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Lt. Gen. Kale Kayihura has said that agents of the Al shabab terrorist group entered the country around the festive season but failed to cause any havoc due to tight security.
He however warned that the terrorists are still around the country and asked people to be vigilant and report to authorities any suspicious characters in their localities.
The IGP was addressing residents of Ndejje-Lubugumu in Wakiso district where he ordered an immediate upgrade of the area police post into a station and increase the number of personnel from seven to 30.
He was responding to appeals from resident to beef up security after a series of robberies had occurred every night in the last six days after Christmas.
The armed robbers dress in military uniforms and carry AK47 riffles. They erect roadblocks in a swamp between Lubowa Housing Estates and Ndejje-Lubugumu where they rob and batter motorists.
Kayihura directed the commander of the Kampala Metropolitan Police, Andrew Kaweesi to immediately deploy more men and ordered them to make night foot patrols.
A victim, Faridah Nagawa broke down in tears as she narrated how she had been battered by the robbers Tuesday night as she drove through the area and all her belongings taken. Several other victims narrated their ordeals.
Local Council (LC) officials said there was a lot of insecurity and the few police personnel had not helped them much.
The IGP said he had ordered for the detention of six police officers who had been deployed to patrol the area on Tuesday night but neglected their duty.
Kayihura was also disturbed to learn that some policemen demand for money for fuel in order to respond to cries when robbers attack the area.
He ordered the commander to also investigate an alleged drunkard policeman who, on the New Year’s Day shot and injured four people and those that were extorting money from people on pretext of arresting them for idle and disorderly.
Kiir Warns S.Sudan Politicians On Violence
– Politicians in Jonglei state should refrain from inciting violence between the Luo-Nuer and Murle communities that have displaced thousands and possibly killed hundred, South Sudan’s president Salva Kiir Mayardit said on Tuesday.
Kiir warned politicians that those behind Jonglei conflicts should stop inciting violence.
South Sudan’s Vice President, Riek Machar, has also said that he believes politicians in Juba and Bor – the Jonglei capital – may be encouraging the armed groups.
“Those having hands in the crisis between Lou Nuer and Murle in Jonglei needs to stop instigating violence between these two ethnic groups. They need to work for peace and stability in the area instead of war”, Kiir said.
The violence that has blighted the new country can also be blamed on north Sudan, according to Kiir, as groups receiving arms from Khartoum-backed militias. Khartoum deny this.
The President Kiir condemned the ongoing fighting in Jonglei State and said that it was a primary duty of the government to protect all the citizens of South Sudan without discrimination.
“We do not want our citizens to fight themselves, and we would protect all and this is not an hour that our people should fight,” he said, a week after ordering the national army and the police to contain the fighting in Jonglei State.
Thousands of extra police and troops were dispatched to Jonglei to try to contain the conflict, Sudan Tribune reports.
“All the people around the world are talking about South Sudan because of the fighting in Jonglei State, people know that we lack capacity and they are not talking about crisis in other countries that got independence long time ago,” the President said.
Crisis-hit CUF expels ‘rebel’ Hamad Rashid
Zanzibar: opposition Civic United Front (CUF) has stripped one of its most popular and influential members, Mr Hamad Rashid Mohammed, of his membership alongside three others, over alleged offences that include sabotage.
The bold step, according to The Citizen, was taken yesterday by a National Council meeting chaired by the party’s secretary general, Mr Seif Shariff Hamad, and is bound to widen a rift within CUF, which analysts are associating with succession politics and 2015 elections.
The party’s deputy secretary general (Mainland), Mr Julius Mtatiro, named the others expelled as Mr Doyo Hassan Doyo, Mr Shoka Khamis Juma and Mr Juma Said Saani.
They, plus the more high-profile Mr Mohammed (Wawi MP), were accused of violating the party constitution. Addressing reporters after the meeting, Mr Mtatiro said that another member, Mr Yasin Mrotwa, had been given a stern warning.
“Members of the National Council gave sufficient time to each accused person to defend himself, after which they voted to expel Mr Mohammed and the three others following deliberations,” Mr Mtatiro said.
Kenya Forces Kill Top Al Shabaab Commander
Kenyan forces have killed a top Al-Shabaab commander and captured one more town in the latest onslaught on the militants’ strongholds in southern Somalia.
The Kenya Defence Forces, assisted by Somalia’s Transitional Federal Government (TFG) fighters stormed the Al-Shabaab stronghold of Fafadun on Tuesday evening and destroyed the militants’ base in a fierce exchange of fire.
Three Al-Shabaab fighters including one of the commanders in charge of the Gedo region identified as Sheikh Hassan Hussein were killed, Kenya military spokesman Maj Emmanuel Chirchir reported in social media.
“Out of the engagement three Al-Shabaab killed, two AK-47, three Browning pistols and three HF radios captured. One KDF slightly injured,” Maj Chirchir tweeted.
In a subsequent interview with Daily Nation, Maj Chirchir explained that the capture of Fafadun was vital as it was one of the few remaining Al-Shabaab bases in southern and central Somalia.
Health Minister Visits Grenade Victims
The Minister of Health, Dr Agnes Binagwaho, yesterday visited victims of Tuesday’s grenade attack who are admitted at Kibagabaga and Rwanda Military hospitals.
The explosion occurred at about 6:40pm in Marembo Village, Nyabisindu Cell, Remera Sector.
During her visit, the minister condemned the act saying it was inhuman.
“I am very angry and disappointed that such a thing happened. Everyone should stand against such inhumane acts,” urged the minister, adding that the victims will get the necessary medical treatment required to recuperate.
She commended the medical teams for acting swiftly to help the victims.