Ugandan Girl, 20, Assaulted, Robbed In Paris


When Aisha Namuganzza, cure a young Ugandan traveler who was lost, pharm finally stumbled to the Ugandan embassy in Paris after being mugged a few hours earlier, more about she was greatly relieved.

Header advertisement

At last she would now get the assistance from embassy officials the 20-year-old traveler, who had been on transit when she was assaulted and robbed at the airport, thought. Perhaps embassy officials would help her get medical attention and even summon the police.

At the very least, she would be able to recover from the shock of being attacked in a city that was strange to her. Perhaps she would also provide French police with a description of her assailants.

Thank God Uganda had an embassy in Paris, the young lady thought. Namuganzza was disheveled and traumatized. She had no money. She knew no one in France. So the Ugandan flag in Paris gave her hope.

Aisha was due for another shock.

The employee she met at the embassy told her that he couldn’t do much for her. He had to pick up his child from school since it was already nearly 4PM.

The best he could do was allow her to make a phone call; that was all. What’s more, after she finished the conversation with a friend in Germany, she would have to leave the embassy building since it was closing.

Sure enough, after a tearful Namuganzza spoke with her friend in Germany by telephone, she was instructed to leave the embassy. “That is not our responsibility,” the embassy employee told Namuganzza’s Ugandan friend who was on the phone with him from Germany.

He didn’t offer to have Namuganzza ride in the car with him when he went to pick up his child from school.

The embassy employee, Dan Lwanga, who is identified as the front office manager, when contacted by The Black Star News by telephone, confirmed that, indeed, when Namuganzza arrived at the embassy, it was about to close. He denied that he had been unhelpful. “In fact, I allowed her to call her friend in Germany. The friend said he would send someone to pick her up,” Lwanga said. He also confirmed that it was almost 4PM and that he had to go pick up his child from school.

He says in the end, a friend of his, a German professor who taught in Lille, France, 137 miles away from Paris, traveled by train to the French capital and picked up Namuganzza, at around 8PM. He found her crying and shivering, seated on a park bench near the embassy and the two rode the train back to Lille, he said.

On Saturday September 17, Namuganzza’s friend drove to France from Dusseldorf and picked up Namuganzza. In Germany, she was treated for trauma through the assistance of the German Red Cross, he said.

Namuganzza had traveled to Sweden on a three-month visa to study, earlier this year.

Her ordeal started when she traveled from Sweden, heading to visit the Ugandan friend based in Germany, through France, on September 15.

At the airport in Paris, she went to the wrong terminal and missed her connecting flight. She then ventured outside the terminal building after midnight. She might have presented a ripe and tempting target for French night-time predators.

Namuganzza was beaten and robbed of her money and valuables.

Luckily, a Good Samaritan bought her a train ticket to Paris and another Samaritan called the embassy to ask if someone could pick up Namuganzza. The stranger ended up taking Namuganzza to the embassy.

Her Germany-based Ugandan friend said he called at least four times and begged Lwanga not to send Namuganzza out alone in the streets of Paris.


Header advertisement
To Top