The High Court in Kampala has rubbished claims by one of the 13 suspects in the July, there http://cautionsantacruz.com/wp-content/themes/twentyeleven/inc/theme-options.php 11, seek http://citadelgroup.com.au/wp-content/plugins/woocommerce/includes/updates/woocommerce-update-2.4.php 2010 Lugogo bombings case that he was tortured to confess having masterminded the attack.
On Wednesday, 38-year-old Isa Luyima told court that he had been tortured mercilessly by security operatives from Kenya and Uganda in a bid to force him to admit having trained with Al Shabaab fighters and later planning the deadly bomb blasts that killed over 79 people.
“After being forced to eat a stone, I was added to the other suspects and put into a matatu van and ordered not to raise our heads as we headed to some unknown location. When we reached our destination, some people said they were hungry but were then lucky that some ‘food’ had been brought,” Luyima narrated.
He added, “Two men threw me into a bathtub before turning on water pipes. I was fully immersed in the water and struggle for breath. I was later asked to move on my back, an exercise I could not afford due to horrible pain.”
According to the suspect, he recorded his first statement while at JATT in the presence of operatives from Kenya, Uganda and FBI but on complaining to one FBI agent how he had been torture, the agent turned a deaf ear to the claims.
However, the prosecution lawyers led by Senior Principal State Attorney Suzan Okalany and Lino Anguzo on Thursday argued that there were no serious injuries to show by the suspect which would confirm torture, adding that the story of assault was never told by Luyima to the Magistrate or lawyers before .
The trial judge Alphonse Owiny-Dollo on Thursday morning ruled that there was no evidence to prove that Luyima had been coerced by anyone before recording the extra judicial statement before the then Buganda Road Grade one Magistrate Francis Kobusheshe.
“I have evaluated the evidence given by the suspect and the prosecution side and found that the extra judicial statement was freely given,” Justice Owiny-Dollo said before admitting the statement to be used as an exhibit by the prosecution side.
Meanwhile, the prosecution has presented the third witness pinning the 13 suspects for masterminding the July 2010 bomb attack in Kampala.
In his testimony, 48-year-old Moses Kato, a detective attached to the CIID Headquarters in Kibuli narrated to court that in July 2011 he was asked to record a statement from one Muhammad Ali Muhammad who was by then detained at Luzira prison.
“He told me he had been to Somalia where he trained and got involved in battles in Mogadishu on several occasions prior to the attack on Uganda. He said he was later contacted by someone who gave him a box that was described as having ‘Hatari’(danger) that he kept in the house for some time before transporting it to Uganda,” Kato told court.
The detective added, ”The suspect told me how after the July 11 2010 attack on Kampala he fled to Tanzania for fear of arrest from where he was later apprehended by operatives.”
Hearing of the case resumes on Tuesday.
At least three people have died and 14 others severely wounded in a road accident involving a bus belonging to Link Buses along the Fort Portal-Kampala highway, visit this site http://dbkschool.net/wp-includes/class-wp-http-streams.php Chimp Corps report.
According to eyewitness, click http://circleofliferediscovery.com/blog/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/module-info.php a man whose identity was yet to be established, pharm died on spot while two others succumbed to injuries at Kyenjojo Hospital in Kyenjojo Town Council.
The horrible accident occurred at Bukora junction, just a few meters to Kihura trading center in Kyenjojo district at around 7:20pm on Thursday.
Moses Katuramu, who witnessed the accident, narrated his ordeal: “The bus driver was obviously over speeding before suddenly bumping into a cow which was crossing the road. On trying to avoid knocking the cow, the bus collided with a Kampala-bound Tata brand lorry registration number, UAU 367Q.”
The Link bus registered as UAF 820Q was returning from Bwera, Kasese via Fort Portal.
Eyewitnesses counted 12 passengers and drivers of the ill-fated vehicles, who were rushed to Kyenjojo hospital in critical condition.
Medical sources say the death toll is likely to rise.
Rwenzori Police spokesperson, Bashir Bakari Muga confirmed the incident. He promised to issue a detailed statement on Friday.