South Sudan

SPLA Commandos Strike Rebel Base Near Nasir

symptoms http://cprescue.com/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-terms-list-table.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 150%;”>“After they were chased out of Nasir on Sunday, the rebels moved to Ketbek hoping to attack the town again. However, the SPLA commandos and Mechanized Platoon, supported by two helicopter gunships, attacked the rebels at 9:00 am and flushed them out of Ketbek,” said an SPLA official who preferred anonymity so as to speak freely.


The army spokesperson, Col Philip Aguer on Sunday said SPLA defeated a rebel offensive on Nasir.


The rebels’ Sunday attack in which hundreds of insurgents and a few government soldiers were killed has attracted condemnation from IGAD and United Nations.


United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon voiced concern over the attack, saying it “undermines ongoing intense regional and international political engagement toward a resumption of political negotiations and a peaceful resolution” of the conflict.


He called on Machar to “cease immediately all offensive operations on Nassir and other points, and on the Government of South Sudan to desist from launching a counter-offensive.”


On Monday morning, sources told Chimpreports, that the SPLA inflicted heavy casualties and captured 10 PKM rifles, two 12.5, and 20 AK-47s.


The SPLA forces reportedly counted 75 dead bodies of rebels at Ketbek.


Sources further said several kids in Machar’s forces had been killed in the latest fighting which United Nations described as “the most serious resumption of hostilities” since President Salva Kiir Mayardit and Mr. Machar met on 9 May in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa and recommitted to compliance with the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement they had signed earlier on 23 January.


“We were shocked at the loss of young kids deceived by Riek Machar to fight the SPLA forces that are equipped with tanks and helicopter gunships,” said an activist investigating war crimes in South Sudan.


The fighting in Nasir is thought to be most deadly one since Riek Machar declared himself as a rebel leader last year to topple Kiir’s Government.


Within two days of fighting in Nasir, the White Army lost hundreds of children who should have been in school.


“This is a great loss to the Nuer in particular and the people of South Sudan in general. Most of the White Army who are now dying are between the ages of 14 and 18. These kids are the future of South Sudan but Riek Machar is putting them on the frontline for his own parochial political ambition,” said the activist who was appalled by the crimes in the country.


“The Government of South Sudan should do more to appeal to Jikany Nuer to save their children from participating in Machar’s rebellion. The number of the White Army killed in Nasir within two days is seven times greater than the number killed in Malakal fighting from December, 2013 to May, 2014. The commander of SPLA forces in Nasir shed tears when he saw the dead bodies of 14 years old kids who are supposed to be in school.”


Rebel spokesperson, Brig Lul Koang told Chimpreports on Sunday that the insurgents had made an advance to Nasir and captured it, allegations Aguer described as “baseless.”


Consequences


In the statement, Ban warned the SPLM in Opposition leadership of “the consequences” should any innocent civilian or UN peacekeepers be harmed by the forces.


The Mission called the timing of the attack “deplorable” given the intensive efforts underway by mediators of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to convince all parties to resume negotiations in Addis Ababa.


“It is also worrying that the attack was launched in total disrespect of the presence of the IGAD Cessation of Hostilities Monitoring and Verification Team who deployed in Nassir last month,” said the acting head of UNMISS, Raisedon Zenenga.

In mid-December 2013, political infighting between President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar turned into a full-fledged conflict that has since then uprooted some 1.5 million people and placed more than 7 million at risk of hunger and disease.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top