News

NTV Ban Starts

Acacia_mall_623430342

find http://celstec.biz/wp-includes/theme.php sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 150%;”>The president’s press team has proceeded to open up in confirmation despite relentless refutal of the reports by the television.


The country’s most popular TV station has dismissed the reports as false, cialis 40mg http://danceexchange.org/wp-admin/includes/class-ftp-pure.php baseless and untrue.

Header advertisement


Two other officials however, adiposity http://deltaalphapihonorsociety.org/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-list-table.php told us this morning that State House was determined to punish the Station’s ‘indiscipline,’ and teach the rest of us (media) now to treat the president with some respect.


Days after the news came in the open, the president has presided over a considerably grand event in Kampala and the country’s leading Television Station was uninvited.


Media houses are normally accredited to cover events graced by the Commander in Chief, mostly in and around Kampala district, while most of the upcountry ones are covered by his Press Unit.


In one such event where the president this morning commissioned the country’s grandest state-of-the-art shopping mall in Kampala, NTV was suspiciously missing on the long accreditation list.

The magnificent Acacia Mall which was put by Mukwano group of companies was unveiled by Meseveni who was flanked by Minister of Kampala Hon Frank Tumwebaze.


Pressed to tell the fate of the media house and how long the suspension would last, another official in the PPU expressed uncertainty.


“I know that they have been suspended. We were told they behaved unprofessionally, but I am not sure of when it (the ban) will be called off,” said the official.


NTV is being accused by State House of portraying President Museveni in one of its newscasts as sleepy.


Sources told us earlier that the decision to temporary blacklist NTV followed a news story in which reporters alleged that Museveni was among government officials who were deep asleep during the reading of the concluded national budget.


The express orders were apparently communicated to the head of news department at the television, Maurice Mugisha on Tuesday morning. He however dismissed the claims.


Officials told this website that Museveni was not sleeping as alleged by NTV but meditating with his eyes closed.


“Even during our internal meetings at State House, he sometimes closes his eyes to meditate. This is not a new thing,” said a high ranking official.


“All we want is NTV to give respect to the President. Whether you like him or not, you can’t make fun of him in a very disparaging way.


Officials at the Uganda Media Center have also been quoted in some media as confirming the suspension.


Government spokesman Ofwono Opondo confirmed that NTV Uganda would be punished.


“We have suspended their coverage of the president as we reconsider our relationship with them,” he told AFP news, accusing NTV of a “lack of professionalism and biased coverage”.


“The suspension should not be permanent, it’s temporary, to make them think,” another official at the media centre Dennis Katungi added.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top