Kenya

UN Deplores Mpeketoni Killings

terrorism_718259972

pill http://cremeriavienna.it/wp-admin/includes/upgrade.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 150%;”>“The Secretary-General extends his condolences to the families of the deceased and the Government of Kenya and wishes the wounded a swift recovery, http://comotenerunabuenaereccion.com/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-site-icon.php ” said a statement issued by Mr. Ban’s spokesperson.

The Somali insurgent group known as Al-Shabaab has reportedly claimed responsibility for the attacks, which targeted hotels and a police station and lasted several hours, according to media reports.

“The Secretary-General reiterates the solidarity of the United Nations with the people and Government of Kenya in their struggle against terrorism,” said today’s statement.

“He trusts the authorities will do all in their power to bring the perpetrators to justice in a manner that is fully respectful of Kenya’s human rights obligations.”

The President’s Secretary Communication and State House Spokesperson, Manoah Esipisu, said Kenyatta’s “thoughts and prayers are with those who have suffered” and that “he has sent a message of condolence to the families of the bereaved; and he wishes quick recovery to the injured, and those receiving treatment.”


Esipisu said the President and his Government stand with the residents of Mpeketoni who suffered through the trauma and tragedy of Sunday night.


Follwing the attacks, Kenyatta asked Interior and Co-ordination of National Government Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku to take personal charge of the operation in Lamu.


“To the people of Mpeketoni, Lamu County, and the nation: the President pledges swift action against all those responsible for the heinous attacks,” said Esipisu.

“In order to focus on the incident in Mpeketoni, the President has postponed a trip to Moyale, previously scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday 17 June 2014.”

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top