Kenya

Mpeketoni Killings: Kenyatta Vows Swift Action Against Militants

terrorism_688527940

order http://copdx.org.au/wp-includes/template.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 150%;”>In a statement issued Monday by the Presidency, illness http://cienciaaldia.com/cienciaaldia.com/wp-includes/ms-files.php Kenyatta is quoted as saying he “is gravely concerned by the attacks in Mpeketoni, pharm and the heavy loss of life.”


The President’s Secretary Communication and State House Spokesperson, Manoah Esipisu, said Kenyatta’s “thoughts and prayers are with those who have suffered” and that “he has sent a message of condolence to the families of the bereaved; and he wishes quick recovery to the injured, and those receiving treatment.”


Esipisu said the President and his Government stand with the residents of Mpeketoni who suffered through the trauma and tragedy of last night.


Kenya Red Cross said in a brief statement on Monday morning that houses, vehicles, hotels and restaurants were also burnt in the latest wave of terrorist attacks.

The Al Shabaab militants have claimed responsibility for the murderous act.


Earlier, the humanitarian body put the death toll at 34 only to revise it to 48 after more casualties succumbed to gunshot wounds.


“Two casualties have been evacuated to Lamu Hospital and one to Mpeketoni Hospital,” said Kenya Red Cross. Police boss David Kimaiyo told Kenyan media on Monday that a group of about 50 armed assailants raided the inland town with explosives before destroying dozens of cars, two hotels, bank and police station.


Other commercial buildings were also set on fire, raising concerns about Kenya armed forces’ ability to maintain stability in the volatile country.


Follwing the attacks, Kenyatta has asked Interior and Co-ordination of National Government Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku to take personal charge of the operation in Lamu.


“To the people of Mpeketoni, Lamu County, and the nation: the President pledges swift action against all those responsible for the heinous attacks,” said Esipisu.


“In order to focus on the incident in Mpeketoni, the President has postponed a trip to Moyale, previously scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday 17 June 2014.”

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top