South Sudan

Heavy Gunfire Erupts in South Sudan

SPLA_troops_968169114

web http://csnn.ca/wp-includes/feed-atom.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 150%;”>Sources in the SPLA army say one soldier has been killed as rebels attacked Baliet and Wankai in what appeared as a carefully planned military operation to recapture their headquarters at Nasir.

medications http://crosscon.ca/wp-admin/includes/class-language-pack-upgrader.php geneva;”>

viagra 100mg geneva;”>“The rebels launched multiple attacks in which they shelled positions held by SPLA forces. Government registered several casualties in the Monday attack,” said a source.

Government spokesperson, Phillip Aguer confirmed the attacks.


The latest development comes at a time when the region is pushing Machar and President Kiir to reach a peaceful solution to their disagreements to save the nation from war.


The rebel attack contravenes a ceasefire agreement signed by Machar and Kiir in Ethiopia last month.


Impeccable security sources say the rebels managed to capture Wankai Payam which is now being used as their tactical base.


United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon recently revealed that political dialogue is the only answer to the conflict in South Sudan as he urged maximum restraint by all parties amid accusations of breaches of the ceasefire.


“Now the onus is on both South Sudanese leaders to accelerate the momentum for peace,” Mr. Ban said as he briefed the Security Council following his visit to the world’s youngest nation last week to sound the alarm about the violence and the risk of catastrophic famine.


“If the conflict continues, half of South Sudan’s 12 million people will either be displaced internally, refugees abroad, starving or dead by the year’s end,” he warned.


The conflict has also displaced more than a million people, including more than 80,000 people who are sheltering at UN bases around the country.

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top