Header advertisement
Crime & Investigation

7/11 Terror Suspects Return To Court Today

terror_126_631913254_958122987

Header advertisement

online http://cognac-ambassador.com/wp-content/themes/directory_child/functions.php geneva;”>The 12 detainees were picked from different countries; Kenya, thumb Tanzania and Uganda in 2010 following the massive Lugogo, Kampala bombings that left many of the World Cup fans dead.


In 2011, these suspects were charged in court with terrorism and remanded to Luzira Upper Prison.


Six of them (Kenyans), recently staged a hunger strike as they protested the delay of their case that has been pending before the courts ever since.


The suspected terrorists are: Omar Awadh, Hussein Hassan Agade, Idris Mogandu, Mohamed Hamid Suleiman, Yahya Suleiman Mbuthia, Habib Suleiman Njoroge and Seleman Hijar Nyamanndondo.


They were indicted with Ugandan suspects who include Isa Ahammed Luyima, Edris Nsubuga, Hassan Haruna Luyima, Abubakari Batemyetto, Muhamoud Mugisha and Muzafar Luyima.


The six men who were arrested by the Kenyan Anti-Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU) in Nairobi and Mombasa and another Kenyan extradited from Tanzania have been in remand custody since then; awaiting hearing of a constitutional application they filed in the Ugandan Constitutional Court in September 2011 challenging their trial which was then stayed to await the outcome of the application.


On the contrary, prosecution contends that the 12 suspects masterminded and executed the July 11, 2010 Kampala terrorist bombings that left over 79 people dead and scores injured.


Dozens had their limbs and arms amputated in the deadly attack that plunged the nation into untold grief.


When they re-appeared before High court yesterday, through their legal team headed by Counsel Peter Walubiri, the seven suspects reiterated their petition affirming that they have been physically and psychologically tortured and forced to sign documents they didn’t know.


They requested High Court not to allow the statements they had earlier made, saying they were extracted from them after being tortured.


“One of the suspects got from Tanzania, in his affidavit, says he was denied access to a lawyer, illegally brought to Uganda aboard an Airplane. He says that while at Entebbe airport police cells, he was tortured for the days he was there,” said Walubiri.

Walubiri further noted that his client for the days he spent at Entebbe, was denied food, made to sleep on the floor and that despite his excessive vomiting, the suspect was not allowed access to a doctor.


He stated in his affidavit that earlier on, while still in Tanzania, he had been intimidated that if he refused to admit that he took part in the bombings, they were to take him to Guantanamo Bay Prison from where he would be killed by other prisoners, a request he turned down.


Walubiri argued that this was the same case with the other petitioners saying that, another suspect was forced to sign documents which he didn’t know but when he tried reading them, he was beaten into coma.


Walubiri thus concluded that it was out of this torture that Njoroge admitted to having travelled and trained in Somalia for one month in the use of arms.


Caleb Alaka and Julius Galisonga are among the other lawyers representing the petitioners while the state is represented by the principal State Attorney, Patricia Mutesi and Gerald Matanda.


Acting Chief Justice Steven Kavuma, who is heading the panel of five judges hearing the petition, adjourned the matter so that the suspects could have a rest.


Their case resumes today.

Advertisement
Comments

Header advertisement
To Top