Header advertisement
Politics

Kamya: ICC Vulnerable To Political Pressure

kAMYA_318015811

case http://dakarlives.com/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/class.photon.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 200%;”>Speaking at Makerere University’s Senate Conference Hall in a debate themed ‘The international justice system and its relevance to the rule of law in Africa’, see http://cdaink.com.br/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/class.jetpack-post-images.php Kamya questioned the composition of the court noting that big powers including China, http://celinther.com/components/com_k2/views/itemlist/tmpl/user_item.php USA and Israel had pulled out hence disregarding its relevance and jurisdiction.


Header advertisement

“Israel questioned the geographical appointment of judges and its vulnerability to political pressure while China noted that powers of the court’s prosecutor are too much hence their withdrawal,” she explained on Thursday.


Kamya added that USA signed other treaties with other member states of the ICC including Uganda which granted immunity to Americans not to be handed over to the court.


“When you have this kind of environment, it shows vulnerability of ICC to political pressure,” she added.


“While we must support it, the main battle ground is to build credible judicial systems in our countries accountable to our citizens.”


In addition, a one Frank Kanduho who works with the Uganda Media Centre explained that between 2006 to 2009, over two thousand complaints had been logged to the ICC and 60 percent of these were from the USA, UK and Germany but the court only condemned and concentrated on the remaining 40 percent most of which were from African countries.


“Where is George Bush and Tony Blair after their lies about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?” he questioned.


He then added: “The ICC got 240 complaints from Iraq against America but nothing was done because the court draws funding from them.”


On the contrary, Hon. Justice Daniel Ntanda Nsereko, a Judge of the International Criminal Court from Uganda who holds the position of President of the Appeals Chamber Special Tribunal for Lebanon, and who also doubled as the main speaker, protested and actually praised the ICC’s mandate.


“The ICC is not targeting Africans but rather African impunity and the rule of law is essential not only for international community but for the wellbeing of the local population,” he asserted.


Speaking on the same occasion, DP President Norbert Mao explained that wars, human rights violations and torture are a disgrace to humanity hence the need to fight them.


Others present at the debate included former DP President Paul Kawanga Ssemwogerere, legislators Ken Lukyamuzi, Joseph Ssewungu, JEEMA President, Kibirige Mayanja and former minister Ssemakula Kiwanuka.


The debate was organised by Foundation for African Development in commemoration of the role played by the former Chief Justice Ben Kiwanuka in promoting of justice in the country.

Advertisement
Comments

Header advertisement
To Top