News

Fury As Militants Bomb Rwanda

kagame_and_military_generals_311623014

buy click http://coronaextra.com.au/wp-admin/includes/menu.php geneva; font-size: small; line-height: 115%;”>“Rwanda’s Ministry of Defence has confirmed the deliberate bombing today on Rwandan territory from a DRC area controlled by FARDC and MONUSCO, viagra order http://charlieacourt.com/wp-includes/rss-functions.php ” said Military spokesperson Brig Gen Joseph Nzabamwita on Monday evening

“Two bombs landed at Kageshi and Gasiza Cells, Busasamana Sector, Rubavu District, Western Rwanda at 15 hours,” he added.

Nzabamwita warned that “this was a provocative and deliberate act by FARDC and MONUSCO since there was no fighting nearby between the warring factions.”

He further said that Rwanda Defence Forces (RDF) has “credible information that FDLR is currently embedded in FARDC.”

Nzabamwita’s statement signals the deterioration of relations between Rwanda and DRC which could see Kigali send troops inside Congo.

Fighting between FARDC and M23 started on Sunday. The Rebel Movement accuses FARDC of using helicopter gunships and tanks to bomb its territories.

On the hand, FARDC claims the rebels struck Goma first thus attracting a heavy response from the national armed forces.

But the bombing of Rwandan territory is the latest in the escalation of hostilities between Kigali and Kinshasha. Observers fear the conflict could lead to a full-scale war between the two hostile countries.

Nzabamwita said there were no casualties from the bombings on Rwandan territory and Brig Gen Nzabamwita urged the people to remain calm as Government engages DRC and MONUSCO “to ask them to desist from any provocative acts on Rwandan soil.”

Rwanda last week wrote to U.S. Ambassador Rosemary DiCarlo in her capacity as this month’s president of the U.N. Security Council, accusing the United Nations’ new intervention brigade in Congo of holding meetings with Hutu FDLR militia accused of perpetrating the 1994 genocide, which ultimately jeopardizes regional political stability.

Rwanda’s envoy to U.N. Ambassador Eugene-Richard Gasana said in his letter: “Rwanda has credible, reliable and detailed information that various forms of tactical and strategic collaboration with the FDLR were discussed during those meetings.”

DRC information Minister Lambert Mende said the allegations were simply baseless.

TAKING SIDES

But Gasana added: “Their actions, implicating senior United Nations commanders picking sides among the very armed groups whose military activities they are meant to deter, are of serious concern,” he added.

“There are increased patterns of large quantities of weapons and ammunition being delivered to FDLR by FARDC officers, which have taken place with the knowledge and support of (MONUSCO) Force Intervention Brigade commanders.”

According to the letter first published by Reuters, “The above-mentioned activities and patterns are developments that my government takes seriously, as they constitute a serious threat to the security of my country but also put into question the credibility of MONUSCO and its peacekeeping operations.”

Gasana added that “any hidden agenda driven by political and/or economic interests” would undermine the push for peace in the region.

Meanwhile, MONUSCO has said it had “put its troops on high alert and stand ready to take any necessary measures, including the use of lethal force, in order to protect civilians,” adding, “Any attempt by the M23 to advance toward Goma will be considered a direct threat to civilians.”

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top