Business

Civil Activists Slam Gov’t Over Oil Bill

Godber_Tumushabe_778874243

information pills http://chimpreports.com/entertainment/wp-includes/script-loader.php geneva;”>The bill was presented to cabinet in January last year. Chapter 7 of the Bill spells out procedures for management of Uganda’s petroleum revenues.

there geneva;”>

buy information pills geneva;”>There has since been growing concerns that when passed into law, this Bill might plunge Uganda onto a speeding train to the worst of the fierce “Oil Curse”


According to Advocates Coalition for Development and Environment (ACODE)’s Executive Director Godber Tumushabe, the explanation of existence of weak and dangerous laws on oil today is rooted in Uganda’s crooked National political economy.


He said: “this government has exhibited limited capacity to govern oil resources in a prudent and judicious manner to benefit all Ugandans and avoid the oil curse.”


This was during stakeholders meeting on Thursday by the country’s top religious leaders and civil society members to discuss the Public Finance Bill 2012 and Oil revenue management as a whole, before presenting proposals to the Parliamentary Natural Resource Committee.


Some of the contentious concerns raised about the bill and its proposed amendments included; Clause 60(3) which seems to water down the powers of the Bank of Uganda by allowing the Line Minister to make directives to the country’s banking institution.


The Bill was also criticized on deciding on determining the amount of revenue that goes to traditional institutions.


Majority of oil wells discovered in western part of Uganda lie in the confines of traditional Bunyoro Kitara Kingdom


While the bill allocates 93 percent of total revenues from petroleum production to government, such involved cultural institutions are to share from the remaining 7 percent that goes to the district.


It states that: “A district may in consultation with Minister responsible for culture and local government grant a share of the royalties due to districts to a cultural or traditional institution.”


However, managing consultant at Lantern Consults International, Shem Byakagaba, argued that there is passionate and justifiable arguments for cultural institutions to directly share from the royalties pool from the centre.


He noted: “It’s not feasible to subject the cultural institutions to the discretion of districts without a specific and reset formula in the law.” “Why should they even relegate such a contentious matter to the districts?” he wondered.


The stake holders were also concerned with the absence of Land owners in the Bill’s sharing formular “yet they are the frontline people and communities affected by the oil.”


Byakagaba further asserted that petroleum revenues have a potential to turn around this country either positively or negatively.


“It is critical to have a legal framework that is fair, equitable and progressive to guarantee maximum benefits for the country today and in the future.


On his part Chairman of the Inter Religious Council of Uganda Mgr. Charles Kasibante said that the discovery of oil has raised Uganda’s profile and provided high potential for sustainable national development.


“We as religious leaders therefore have a responsibility of ensuring that revenues from oil and other natural resources are utilized for the benefit of all Ugandans.”


He added that: “We have to check whether the proposed amendments to this bill contain adequate safeguards against theft, plunder of revenues that will arise from production and marketing of the country’s oil.”

Comments

Header advertisement
To Top