Crime & Investigation

Police Warn Journalists Over Media Siege Protests


for sale geneva;”>The protest started on Tuesday as journalists and several activists under their umbrella body, there the Human Rights Network for Journalists led by its National Coordinator, Wookulira Ssebagala, gathered at the Daily Monitor offices in Namuwongo, Kampala to protest closure of Monitor, Red Pepper and two radio stations – Dembe FM and KFM.

Police have since arrested two activists, Mulindwa Mukasa and William Ntege.

According to Kampala Metropolitan police spokesperson, Idi Ibin Ssenkumbi, Police was compelled to swing into action following a bitter quarrel between cops and activists.

“We arrested two people who are currently being detained at Kabalagala Police Station, they will be charged with inciting violence,” said Ssenkumbi.

He added that if journalists “do not cooperate with the police and go on with the protests, more of them will be apprehended.”

According to Uganda Human Rights Network for Journalists, protests will continue until the media houses are reopened.

Meanwhile, the Uganda Parliamentary Press Association (UPPA) has condemned the continued attack on the Uganda media by various Government agencies.

It is now 10 days today, since the Government closed five newspapers and two radio stations.

Police obtained warrants from court to search the premises of the Daily Monitor Publications and the Red Pepper as part of the investigations into the Gen David Sejusa’s letter that appeared in the Daily Monitor Newspaper of May 7 2013.

“However, as UPPA we are concerned that the said search warrant did not in any way necessitate the closure of Daily Monitor, Red Pepper, Entatsi, Kamunye, Hello, KFM and Dembe FM. It’s our considered view that the continued police siege and closures of independent media houses is illegal and is an infringement on the Media Freedom,” a statement released on Wednesday reads in part.

“In an effort to regain their freedom Daily Monitor thought for a court order stopping Police from the continued siege of their premises but unfortunately, Police which is an institution supposed keep law and order went ahead to violate the law by disrespecting the Court decision. This leaves us helpless as there is no lawful organ where Ugandans can seek protection.”


Header advertisement
To Top